Dr. Mansfield specializes in treatment of disorders of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine. His special interests include disc herniation, spinal stenosis, spondylolisthesis, spine fractures, and spine infections.
- Clinical Interests
- Cervical myelopathy
- Cervical spine conditions
- Cervical stenosis
- Herniated disc
- Lumbar spine conditions
- Lumbar stenosis
- Medical Education
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program
- Fellowship, Boston Children's Hospital|Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Dr. Mansfield took his bachelor's degree at Harvard College in 1969, and then earned a master's degree in electrical engineering at Stanford University in 1970. He earned his MD degree at Harvard Medical School in 1976 and went on to a surgical internship and junior residency at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital and an orthopaedic residency in the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program. He completed a fellowship in spine surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women's Hospital, and a fellowship in pediatric orthopaedic surgery at Children's Hospital Medical Center in Boston. He has practiced orthopaedics at MGH since 1983 and is an Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery at Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Mansfield is certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery, and he is a fellow of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and a member of the North American Spine Society.
- Research Summary
Dr. Mansfield's research interests have centered around techniques of spinal fusion.
- Ghogawala Z, Mansfield FL, Borges LF. Spinal radiation before surgical decompression adversely affects outcomes of surgery for symptomatic metastatic spinal cord compression. Spine 2001;26(7):818-24.
- Sanpakit S, Mansfield FL, Liebsch NJ. The role of onlay grafting with minimal internal fixation for occipitocervical fusion in oncologic patients. Journal of Spinal Disorders 2000;13:382-90.
- Kim S, Rodrigue SW, Mansfield FL. Nonoperative treatment for lumbar disc herniation with radiculopathy and for lumbar spinal stenosis. Current Opinion in Orthopedics 1999;10(2):137-41.
- Carlson JR, Heller JG, Mansfield FL, Pedlow FX. Traumatic open anterior lumbosacral fracture dislocation: a report of two cases. Spine 1999;24:184-8.
- Rechtine GR, Sutterlin CE, Wood GW, Boyd RJ, Mansfield FL. The efficacy of pedicle screw/plate fixation on lumbar/lumbosacral autogenous bone graft fusion in adult patients with degenerative spondylolisthesis. Journal of Spinal Disorders, 1999;9:382-91.
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, Suite 3A
Boston, MA 02114
40 Second Avenue
Building 52, Suite 1150
Waltham, MA 02451