Dr. Lhowe is an accomplished orthopaedist who specializes in hip and knee replacement surgery and trauma surgery. He is a well-respected clinician and educator, and he has special interest and experience in disaster and mass casualty medicine.
- Clinical Interests
- Complications of trauma
- Disaster medicine
- Femur and tibia fractures
- Hip fractures
- Hip problems
- Fracture care
- Knee problems
- Limb deformity correction
- Malunion of fractures
- Minimally invasive plating techniques
- Nonunions of fractures
- Open fracture management
- Post traumatic reconstruction
- Medical Education
- MD, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- Residency, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Fellowship, Harborview Medical Center
- Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthplan (non-HMO) - other
- United Healthplan (non-HMO) - SSN
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
David Lhowe, MD, grew up outside New York City. He attended Harvard College as an undergraduate and Case Western Reserve School of Medicine before returning to Harvard for his orthopaedic surgery residency. He subsequently completed additional fellowship training in orthopaedic trauma at Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Dr. Lhowe served for several years as the Chief of the Mass General Hospital Orthopaedic Trauma Service.
Dr. Lhowe's current practice is a combination of orthopaedic trauma and adult reconstruction (hip and knee replacements). He is a very well-liked and respected educator, and was the recipient of the Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program's Golden Apple award as Teacher of the Year (2005).
Dr. Lhowe has been very active nationally and internationally since the late 1990's as a member of various disaster medicine response teams. He is the Chief Orthopaedic Officer of the IMSuRT (International Medical Surgical Response Team).
- Research Summary
Dr. Lhowe's research interests are in disaster and mass casualty medicine.
Sechriest VF, Lhowe DW. Prolonged Femoral External Fixation After Natural Disaster: Successful Late Conversion to Intramedullary Nail Aboard USNS Mercy Hospital Ship. American Journal of Disaster Medicine 2008;3:307-312.
Sechriest VF, Lhowe DW. Orthopaedic Care Aboard the USNS Mercy During Operation Unified Assistance After the 2004 Asian Tsunami. JBJS(Am.) 2008;90:849-861.
Born C, Lhowe DW, Briggs S, Hirshberg A, Frykberg E, O'Neill P. Disasters and Mass Casualties : II. Explosive, Biologic, Chemical, and Nuclear Agents. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2007;15:461-473.
Born C, Lhowe DW, Briggs S, Hirshberg A, Frykberg E, O'Neill P. Disasters and Mass Casualties : I. General Principles of Response and Management. Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons 2007;15:388-396.
Mithoefer K, Lhowe DW, Vrahas MS, Altman DT, Erens V, Altman GT. Functional Outcome After Acute Compartment Syndrome of the Thigh. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 2006;88:729-737.
The primary purpose of this Initiative is to foster collaboration amongst the orthopedic trauma services at all four Harvard-affiliated teaching hospitals in Boston: Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center; Boston Children’s Hospital; Brigham and Women’s Hospital; and Massachusetts General Hospital.
Boston, MA 02114