John Tobias Nagurney M.D. is an attending physician at the Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Emergency Medicine. He is also an Associate Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School.
- Clinical Interests
- Chest pain
- Technology assessment
- International Emergency Medicine
- Medical Education
- MD, Weill Cornell Medical College
- Residency, Cornell University Medical Center
- Fellowship, Cornell University Medical Center
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine
- Emergency Medicine
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
- Provider Gender
Dr. John T. Nagurney, attending physician at the Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Emergency Medicine, received his M.D. from Cornell University Medical College. He also has a MPH from Harvard University School of Public Health. Dr. Nagurney completed his residency at The New York Hospital- Cornell University Medical Center and the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Hospital. He also completed a fellowship in Public Health and General Internal Medicine and Ambulatory Care at The New York Hospital's Cornell University Medical Center.
Dr. Nagurney is the Research Director for the Department of Emergency Medicine. In this capacity he oversees and conducts significant research regarding many aspects of emergency care, and he assists other principal investigators in study design, human subject considerations, and research methodology. He has also developed a curriculum in research methodology and teaches approaches to research for the Harvard Affiliated Emergency Medicine Residency program.
- Research Summary
- Dr. Nagurney has conducted clinical research, and over the last fifteen years has written or been a coauthor on over 60 manuscripts and 70 presented and/or published abstracts. He has also mentored medical students, residents, fellows and junior faculty. He has been a funded co investigator on several NIH RO 1 and AHRQ grants, and has performed many industry-sponsored studies. Dr. Nagurney became the ED's Research Director in 1995. He joined the Partners IRB in 1998, and has represented the department on the HMS- DEM Research Committee, serving three terms as chairman.
Incorporating coronary CT angiography into the initial evaluation of low-risk patients coming to hospital emergency departments with chest pain appears to reduce the time patients spend in the hospital without incurring additional costs or exposing patients to significant risks.
Cardiac CT gives emergency physicians the ability to predict major adverse cardiac events (MACE) in patients presenting with chest pain, according to a study published in the May issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
Celebrating 200 Years: 1811 - 2011
Since 1811, people have counted on Mass General for answers, innovations and medical leadership. As our third century dawns, we remain ready to serve.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696