Dr. Dzik's interests range from clinical trials research of blood transfusion in children in Uganda, to improving patient safety in hospitals, and mentoring the Department's trainees in academic Transfusion Medicine.
- Clinical Interests
- Transfusion medicine
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Residency, Boston Medical Center
- Fellowship, Boston Medical Center|Fellowship, National Institute of Health
- Board Certifications
- Blood Banking & Transfusion Medicine
- Internal Medicine
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Dr. Dzik is Editor of Transfusion Medicine Reviews. His clinical interests are in transfusion medicine, hemostasis, and non-cancer hematology. In addition, he is devoted to mentoring the next generation of leaders in academic Transfusion Medicine. Dr Dzik balances his efforts among clinical care, teaching, research, and hospital administration. In collaboration with a former Massachusetts General Hospital trainee, he recently completed an NIH-funded study of transfusion for children with profound anemia in Uganda. Dr. Dzik is a member of the Massachusetts General Hospital Center for Global Health, and is a Pathology Global Health Program Research Investigator with a special interest in transfusion medicine in Uganda. In his spare time, Dr Dzik is interested in 17th and 18th century horology as an expression of the blending of art and science.
- Research Summary
In collaboration with MGH Hematology and with other clinical divisions at MGH, the Blood Transfusion Service conducts clinical research in the disciplines of transfusion medicine, hemostasis and thrombophilia. The Blood Transfusion Service is a member of the NHLBI Clinical Trials Network in Transfusion Medicine and Hemostasis.
Dr. Dzik is a founding member of the Biomedical Excellence for Safer Transfusion (BEST) Collaborative. In 2002, Dr. Dzik led a large, international, multicenter BEST Study focused on blood grouping errors due to miscollected samples. A previous international study with this group focused on standardization of CD34+ cell counting during progenitor cell collections. In 2008, he conducted a pivotal trial on universal leukoreduction. In 2016, he and his colleagues conducted a trial of oxygen delivery by stored blood.
In addition to these large clinical trials, Sunny Dzik's research interests include management of the coagulopathy of liver disease, clinical use of blood components, massive transfusion, biologic consequences of recipient exposure to allogeneic donor leukocytes, and patient safety in transfusion.
For a list of co-authors, related research concepts, and a timeline, visit Dr. Dzik's profile page at the Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center.
- Anti-HLA alloantibodies in surgical patients refractory to platelet transfusion. Pe?a JR, Saidman SL, Girouard TC, Meister E, Dzik WH, Makar RS. Am J Hematol. 2014 Sep;89(9):E133-7. doi: 10.1002/ajh.23757. Epub 2014 Jun 19.
- Testing only donors with a prior history of pregnancy or transfusion is a logical and cost-effective transfusion-related acute lung injury prevention strategy. Powers A, Stowell CP, Dzik WH, Saidman SL, Lee H, Makar RS. Transfusion. 2008 Dec;48(12):2549-58. doi: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2008.01902.x. Epub 2008 Aug 20.
- ADAMTS13 binds to CD36: a potential mechanism for platelet and endothelial localization of ADAMTS13. Davis AK, Makar RS, Stowell CP, Kuter DJ, Dzik WH. Transfusion. 2009 Feb;49(2):206-13. doi: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2008.01978.x.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696