Dr. Schwab combines his spine surgery and oncology training with his research interests in tumors and degenerative conditions of the spine. He provides excellent patient care today and wants to use research to improve patient treatment in the future.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Adult and pediatric spinal tumors
- Benign bone tumors
- Malignant bone tumors
- Metastatic bone disease
- Cervical myelopathy
- Cervical spine conditions
- Cervical stenosis
- Herniated disc
- Lumbar spine conditions
- Lumbar stenosis
- Minimally invasive spine surgery
- Spinal fusion
- Spinal deformity
- Spine trauma
- Medical Education
- MD, Chicago Medical School
- Residency, Mayo Clinic
- Fellowship, Hospital for Special Surgery|Fellowship, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- AllWays Health (NHP) - ACD
- AllWays Health (NHP) - PBO
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Medicare - ACD
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
- Provider Gender
Dr. Schwab is a board certified orthopedic surgeon who received his residency training from the Mayo Clinic where he was awarded the P.J. Kelly award for outstanding basic science research. He has sub-specialty fellowship training in spine surgery from The Hospital for Special Surgery and orthopaedic oncology from Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
Dr. Schwab earned a BA from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio majoring in Religion. He earned his MD from Chicago Medical School where he was a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha honor society, as well as a Master's degree in Clinical Pathology.
Dr. Schwab recently earned his second Master's degree from Harvard/MIT School of Health sciences and Technology as part of the Clinical Investigator Training Program (CITP). The program is designed to train young investigators in the science of translational research and clinical trials.
Dr. Schwab plans on utilizing his CITP training to conduct clinical trials in his areas of clinical interest. He has an active practice that includes the management of benign and malignant bone tumors as well as maladies of the spine such as cervical spinal stenosis, cervical myelopathy, lumbar stenosis, lumbar spondylolisthesis, herniated discs and adult scoliosis.
- Research Summary
Dr. Schwab has an active practice that includes the management of benign and malignant bone tumors as well as maladies of the spine such as cervical spinal stenosis, cervical myelopathy, lumbar steonsis, lumbar spondylolisthesis, herniated discs and adult scoliosis.
- Devisetty K, Kobayashi W, Suit HD, Goldberg SI, Niemierko A, Chen YL, Raskin KA, Schwab JH, Springfield DS, Yoon SS, Hornicek FJ, Delaney TF. Low-Dose Neoadjuvant External Beam Radiation Therapy for Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Sep 21.
- Schoenfeld AJ, Hornicek FJ, Pedlow FX, Kobayashi W, Garcia RT, DeLaney TF, Springfield D, Mankin HJ, Schwab JH. Osteosarcoma of the spine: experience in 26 patients treated at the Massachusetts General Hospital. Spine J. 2010 Aug;10(8):708-14.
- Kim B, Chen YL, Kirsch DG, Goldberg SI, Kobayashi W, Hyun Kung J, Wolfgang JA, Doppke K, Rosenberg AE, Nielsen GP, Raskin KA, Springfield DS, Schwab JH, Gebhardt MC, Yoon SS, Hornicek FJ, Delaney TF. An Effective Preoperative Three-Dimensional Radiotherapy Target Volume for Extremity Soft Tissue Sarcoma and the Effect of Margin Width on Local Control. Int J Radiati Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 July 1;77(3):843-50.
- Wang X, Wang Y, Yu L, Sakakura K, Visus C, Schwab JH, Ferrone CR, Favoino E, Koya Y, Campoli MR, McCarthy JB, DeLeo AB, Ferrone S. CSPG4 in cancer; multiple roles. Curr Mol Med 2010 Jun;10(4): 419-29.
- Yang C, Hornicek FJ, Wood KB, Schwab JH, Choy E, Iafrate J, Rosenberg A, Nielsen GP, Xavier RJ, Mankin H, Duan Z. "Characterization and analysis of human chordoma cell lines." Spine 2010 Jun 1;35(13):1257-64.
Click here for a complete list of publications.
A team led by Dr. Joseph Schwab at MGH is using machine learning to make better decisions about spinal surgery for their patients.
IN THIS ARTICLE: Less invasive spine procedures can reduce adverse events and improve clinical outcomes. Such surgeries take advantage of new imaging technologies and protocols.
Andrew Lietz, a survivor of sarcoma, has dedicated his philanthropic efforts to encouraging and supporting doctors that are studying this rare disease.
Dr. Joseph Schwab earned the 2017 Richard Brand Award at the 2017 Annual Meeting of the Orthopaedic Research Society in March.
20 members of the Orthopaedic Spine Center attended a two-day training to improve patient care and improve clinic work flow.
The Orthopaedic Spine Center hosted a two-day spine symposium in conjunction with the Peking University Third Hospital.
The Orthopaedic Spine Center welcomed Dr. Alan Hilibrand for a presentation and Grand Rounds.
The 4th Annual Sacral Tumor Study Group Conference, a collaboration with Massachusetts General Hospital, the Mayo Clinic and the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, took place on January 19, 2013.
Artificial Intelligence for Diagnosis and Management in Spine Surgery
Dr. Schwab, Chief of the Orthopaedic Spine Center, explors the next wave of artificial intelligence breakthroughs in health care.
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, Suite 3A
Boston, MA 02114-2696