Serguei Melnitchouk, MD, MPH, is a board-certified cardiac surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital and specializes in minimally invasive mitral valve surgery. Dr. Melnitchouk is assistant professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Acquired heart disease
- Aortic surgery
- Arterial coronary bypass grafting
- Heart transplant
- Lung transplant
- Mitral Valve repair
- Aortic valve repair
- Cardiac (heart) surgery
- Medical Education
- MPH, Harvard School of Public Health
- MD, University of Heidelberg Medical School
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital|Residency, Columbia University Medical Center|Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital|Residency, University Hospital Switzerland
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital|Fellowship, Columbia University Medical Center|Fellowship, Herzzentrum Leipzig
- Board Certifications
- Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery - General
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Serguei Melnitchouk, MD, MPH, is a board-certified cardiac surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital specializing in coronary bypass and valve surgery with a focus on minimally invasive mitral valve surgery and transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR). Dr. Melnitchouk is also involved with the Lung Transplant and ECMO programs at the Mass General Transplant Center.
Dr. Melnitchouk received his medical degree at Ruprecht-Karls-University in Heidelberg, Germany and his Master's of Public Health at the Harvard School of Public Health. Dr. Melnitchouk completed his general surgery residency at Brigham and Women's Hospital and Mass General and a cardiothoracic surgery residency at New York Presbyterian Hospital/Columbia University Medical Center. He has also completed an additional fellowship training in the minimally invasive mitral valve repair at the Leipzig Heart Center, Germany.
Dr. Melnitchouk is the quality director for the Division of Cardiac Surgery. He leads initiatives in identifying ways to measure the division's quality of care while improving patient care and experience. He is assistant professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School.
- Research Summary
- Dr. Melnitchouk's basic science research has focused on cardiovascular tissue engineering. His current research interests involve studying various outcome measures after surgical interventions, particularly decision analysis, survival analysis, and risk models in cardiac surgery.
New guidelines recommend mitral valve repair for asymptomatic patients with mitral valve regurgitation, allowing for comparable outcomes with faster recovery.
Dolly's Story: Getting Back on Her Feet
Dolly Lakkis—a business owner, optician and competitive dancer—didn’t have time to be sick. When mitral valve disease started to affect the quality of her life, she turned to a team of specialists at the Corrigan Minehan Heart Center at Massachusetts General Hospital. Dolly’s doctors were able to repair her damaged heart valve with minimally invasive surgery that got her back on her feet—and back on the dance floor—as quickly as possible.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Phone 1: 617-643-2031
Phone 2: 617-724-0800