Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Division of Thoracic Surgery
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MD, Leopold-Franzens University
- Universitat Innsbruck
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Residency, University Hospital Austria
- Residency, University Hospital Innsbruck
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Toronto General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery - General, American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Thoracic and Cardiac Surgery, American Board of Thoracic Surgery
- Surgery, American Board of Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Harald C. Ott is a thoracic surgeon at the Massachusetts General Hospital and an Associate Professor in Surgery at the Harvard Medical School. He is best known for his work in whole organ regeneration. He discovered and perfected the method of stripping an organ of its own cells and then infusing the remaining scaffold with new progenitor cells (Perfusion Decellularized Matrix: Using Nature’s Platform for Engineering Bioartificial Heart. Nat Med. 2008 Feb; 14(2):213-21.). To date, his technology has been successfully applied to heart, liver, lung, kidney, and pancreas regeneration. This method of reseeding and engraftment with native cells potentially eliminates donor organ shortage and the need for life-long immunosuppression in transplant patients, and thus lays the path for effective solutions for the millions of people in need of organ repair or replacement. Harald’s background is in surgery (M.D.; University Innsbruck in Austria, 2000) and this training has been an asset for his chosen field of scientific research. The privilege to work with patients suffering from end organ failure provides both motivation and inspiration to continue his work in organ regeneration.
- Ott HC, Matthiesen TS, Goh SK, Black LD, Kren S, Netoff TI, Taylor DA. Perfusion Decellularized Matrix: Using Nature’s Platform for Engineering Bioartificial Heart. Nat Med. 2008 Feb;14(2):213-21.
- Ott HC, Clippinger B, Conrad C, Schuetz C, Pomerantseva I, Ikonomou L, Kotton D, Vacanti JP. Regeneration and orthotopic transplantation of a bioartificial lung. Nat Med. 2010 Aug;16(8):927-33.
- Song JJ, Guyettte J, Gilpin S, Gonzalez G, Vacanti J, Ott HC. Regeneration and Orthotopic Transplantation of a Bioengineered Kidney. Nat Med. 2013 May;19(5):646-51.
- JP Guyette, SE Gilpin, JM Charest, LF Tapias, X Ren, HC Ott, Perfusion Decellularization of Whole Organs. Nature Protocols. 2014 Jun;9(6):1451-68.
- Kitano K, Schwartz DM, Zhou H, Gilpin SE, Wojtkiewicz GR, Ren X, Sommer CA, Capilla AV, Mathisen DJ, Goldstein AM, Mostoslavsky G, Ott HC. Bioengineering of functional human induced pluripotent stem cell-derived intestinal grafts. Nat Commun. 2017 Oct 10;8(1):765.
- Xi Ren, Philipp T Moser, Sarah E Gilpin, Tatsuya Okamoto, Tong Wu, Luis F Tapias, Francois E Mercier, Linjie Xiong, Raja Ghawi, David T Scadden, Douglas J Mathisen, Harald C Ott. Engineering pulmonary vasculature in decellularized rat and human lungs. Nat Biotechnol. 2015 Oct;33(10):1097-102.