Dr. Pierce is a board-certified medical microbiologist and specialist in pediatric infectious diseases. She serves as an Associate Director of the Clinical Microbiology Laboratory at MGH, an attending physician on the Pediatric Infectious Disease inpatient consultation service at MGHfC, and an Assistant Professor of Pathology at Harvard Medical School.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Infectious disease - Pediatric
- Clinical Microbiology
- Antibiotic Resistant Infections
- Multi-drug resistant infections
- Medical education
- Medical Education
- MD, Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis
- Residency, Yale-New Haven Hospital
- Fellowship, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia|Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Pediatric Infectious Diseases
- Medical Microbiology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Dr. Virginia Pierce received her MD degree from Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis in 2005. She then completed residency training and a chief residency in pediatrics at Yale-New Haven Hospital, followed by fellowships in pediatric infectious diseases at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and medical microbiology at Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Pierce joined the Massachusetts General Hospital Pathology faculty in 2014, and serves as Associate Director of the Massachusetts General Hospital Clinical Microbiology Laboratories. She also serves as an attending physician on the MassGeneral Hospital for Children Pediatric Infectious Disease service, as the Associate Director of the Medical Microbiology Fellowship Program, and as an Associate Editor of the Case Records of the Massachusetts General Hospital for the New England Journal of Medicine.
- Research Summary
Research Interests of Virginia M. Pierce, MD
- Development, evaluation, and application of antimicrobial susceptibility testing methods in the clinical microbiology laboratory
- Development, evaluation, and application of new testing strategies in clinical microbiology
- Improvement of existing diagnostic approaches and algorithms in clinical microbiology
Clinical Research Affiliations
- Azar MM, Turbett SE, Fishman JA, Pierce VM. Donor-derived transmission of Candida auris during lung transplantation. Clin Infect Dis 2017; 65: 1040-2.
- Pierce VM, Simner PJ, Lonsway DR, Roe-Carpenter DE, Johnson JK, Brasso WB, Bobenchik AM, Lockett ZC, Charnot-Katsikas A, Ferraro MJ, Thomson RB Jr, Jenkins SG, Limbago BM, Das S. Modified carbapenem inactivation method for phenotypic detection of carbapenemase production among Enterobacteriaceae. J Clin Microbiol 2017; 55: 2321-33.
- Pierce VM, Eversley JS, Tran TK, Rosenberg ES. Differences between quantification of genotype 3 hepatitis C virus RNA by versions 1.0 and 2.0 of the COBAS AmpliPrep/COBAS TaqMan HCV test. Clin Chem Lab Med 2017; 55: 956-61.
55 Fruit Street
Gray Jackson Building 529B
Boston, MA 02114-2696
275 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA 02114-3108