Mauricio Villavicencio, MD, MBA, is cardiac surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital, specializing in all Adult Heart Surgery, Heart/Lung transplantation, and Aortic Valve Surgery.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Cardiac (heart) surgery
- Transplant surgery
- Aortic valve surgery
- Pulmonary endarterectomy
- Medical Education
- MD, Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile
- Residency, Instituto Nacional del Torax|Residency, Universidad de Chile
- Fellowship, Duke University Medical Center|Fellowship, Freeman Hospital|Fellowship, Mayo Clinic
- Foreign Languages
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Provider Gender
Mauricio Villavicencio, MD, MBA, is cardiac surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital. He is a member of the Mass General Corrigan Minehan Heart Center and Mass General Transplant Center, and is the Director of Lung Transplantation and ECMO in the Division of Cardiac Surgery.
Dr. Villavicencio earned his medical degree from Pontificia Universidad Catolica de Chile and then completed both general and cardiac surgical residencies in Santiago, Chile. He then pursued an advanced cardiovascular surgery fellowship at the Mayo Clinic, followed by cardiopulmonary transplantation fellowship at The Freeman Hospital, which is one of the premier thoracic transplant centers in Europe.
Dr. Villavicencio returned to the U.S. after a seven-year tenure in Chile, where he introduced the country to the use of ventricular assist devices as a regular therapeutic tool. He served as the founder and chief of the National Cardiopulmonary Transplantation Service. In 2015, Dr. Villavicencio undertook a thoracic transplantation and ventricular assist devices fellowship at Duke University Medical Center.
His practice includes the full spectrum of adult cardiac surgery, with an emphasis in valve and coronary surgery.
- Research Summary
- Dr. Villavicencio's research has studied heart and lung organ procurement and preservation, and clinical outcomes within transplantation.
A Mass General team finds ECMO allows for more aggressive interventions to increase survival of high-risk pulmonary embolism patients.
Mauricio Villavicencio, MD, MBA, has been named the surgical director of Lung Transplantation and ECMO in the Division of Cardiac Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Phone 1: 617-726-5608
Phone 2: 617-724-0800