Katherine D. Pocius, MD, MPH, is the Medical Director of Family Planning for Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology. She is an expert in contraception care and family planning. She also provides general obstetric and gynecologic care.
- Clinical Interests
- Family planning
- Adolescent gynecology
- General obstetrics and gynecology (OB/GYN)
- Long-acting reversible contraception (LARC) including IUD's and implants
- Complex contraception
- Early pregnancy loss
- Medical Education
- MPH, Harvard School of Public Health
- MD, Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Waltham: Mass General Waltham
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
Katherine D. Pocius, MD, MPH, is Medical Director of Family Planning for the Vincent Obstetrics and Gynecology Service at Massachusetts General Hospital. She is also an Instructor of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology at Harvard Medical School.
Katherine completed her residency at Brigham and Women's Hospital/Massachusetts General Hospital Integrated Residency Program in Obstetrics and Gynecology. She completed a fellowship in Family Planning at Brigham and Women’s Hospital. She also received a Masters from the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. She is board certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology.
Katherine is passionate about providing safe and accessible contraceptive and family planning care for women of all ages. As someone who also provides general obstetric and gynecologic care, she is able to provide comprehensible reproductive health care for her patients throughout their lives.
Her clinical areas of expertise include: contraception, long-acting reversible contraception, intrauterine contraceptive devices (IUD’s), contraceptive implants, complex contraception care in women with medical comorbidties and potential medication interactions, early pregnancy loss, medical abortion, surgical abortion, hysteroscopic sterilization, and sterilization.
Pocius KD, Dutton CR. Update on hormonal contraception and obesity. Current Obstetrics and Gynecology Reports. March 2015; 4(1): 61-68.
Michaels AY, Washburn EE, Pocius KD, Benson CB, Doubilet PM, Carusi DA. Outcome of cesarean scar implantation pregnancies diagnosed sonographically in the first trimester. J Ultrasound Med. 2015 Apr; 34(4): 595-9. PMID 25792574.
Pocius KD, Mauer R, Fortin J, Goldberg AB, Bartz D. Early serum human chorionic gonadotropin (hCG) trends after medication abortion. Contraception. 2015 Jun; 91(6):503-6. PMID: 25765358.
Brady PC, Pocius KD. Chapter 8: Spontaneous Abortions. In: Brady PC, ed. Handbook of Consult and Inpatient Gynecology. Ed 1. New York, NY: Springer, 2016
Brady PC, Pocius KD. Chapter 17: Induced Abortion. In: Brady PC, ed. Handbook of Consult and Inpatient Gynecology. Ed 1. New York, NY: Springer, 2016.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Phone 1: 617-724-2229
Phone 2: 617-724-6850
40 Second Ave
Waltham, MA 02451