Dr. Bessey specializes in the treatment of degenerative disorders of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine using a patient-focused model of care. He is interested in minimally invasive techniques to allow for faster recovery and return to normal function.
- Clinical Interests
- Cervical spine
- Cervical and lumbar disc degeneration
- Degenerative spinal conditions
- Herniated disc
- Image guided surgery
- Lumbar spine
- Lumbar stenosis
- Minimally invasive spine surgery
- Spinal fusion
- Sports injuries of the spine
- Medical Education
- MD, Jefferson Medical College
- Residency, Baylor College of Medicine
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Salem: North Shore Medical Center
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
Dr. Jason Bessey received his undergraduate degree with Honors at Haverford College, majoring in Chemistry with a concentration in Biochemistry. He then received his MD from Jefferson Medical College, where he graduated Cum Laude. He completed his Orthopedic Surgery residency training at Baylor College of Medicine. Dr. Bessey went on to complete fellowship training in spinal surgery at the Harvard Affiliated Hospitals, where he was trained in the treatment of complex disorders of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine as well as spinal trauma.
Dr. Bessey is a member of the North American Spine Society and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Research Summary
Dr. Bessey has an interest in clinical and basic science research, specifically in the areas of spinal trauma as well as the outcomes of elective spine surgery. He has authored multiple peer-reviewed manuscripts as well as textbook chapters on the treatment of traumatic injuries of the cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine.
- Bessey JT, Le H, Leonard DA, Bono CM, Harris MB, Kang JD, Schoenfeld AJ. The effect of chronic liver disease on outcomes following cervical spine trauma. Spine J 2016 (Accepted for publication 6/3/2016).
- Patel AA, Lindsey R, Bessey JT, Chapman J, Rampersaud R, and the Spine Trauma Study Group. Surgical treatment of unstable Type II odontoid fractures in skeletally mature individuals. Spine. 2010; 35:S209-18.
- Patel AA, Hurlbert J, Bono C, Bessey JT, Yang N, Vaccaro AR. Surgical decision making in acute sub-axial cervical spine trauma. Spine. 2010; 35:S228-34.
- Ploumis A, Ponnappan RK, Patel RX, Bessey JT, Albert TJ, Bata A, Harrop J, Fisher CG, Bono CM, Vaccaro AR. Thromboprophylaxis in patients with acute spinal injuries: an evidence based analysis. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2009; 91:2568-76.
- Ploumis A, Ponnappan RK, Bessey JT, Patel R, Vaccaro, AR. Current recommendations for thromboprophylaxis in patients with acute spinal cord injury. Spine J. 2009; 9:530-36.
The Orthopaedic Spine Center welcomed Dr. Alan Hilibrand for a presentation and Grand Rounds.
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, Suite 3A
Boston, MA 02114-2696