View a listing of recent publications that include investigators at the Center for the Environment and Health.
Guiding Sustainable and Climate-Smart Health Care
Wortzel, J.R., Lee, J., Benoit, L., Rubano, A., Pinsky, E. Perspectives on Climate Change and Pediatric Mental Health: A Qualitative Analysis of Interviews with Researchers in the Field. Acad Psychiatry (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s40596-022-01707-z
Pinsky E, Guerrero APS, Livingston R. Our house is on fire: child and adolescent psychiatrists in the era of the climate crisis. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2020;59(5):580–2
- Nicholas, P.K., Breakey, S., Tagliareni, E., Simmonds, K, & Sabo, K. (2021). Climate Change and the Health of Populations: Incorporating Stages of Nursing’s Political Development. Nursing Outlook. 69 (1), 65-73. DOI: 1016/j.outlook.2020.08.001
- Duhaime A, LaRocque R, Slutzman J. Development of a Center for the Environment and Health at a Large Academic Medical Center. Journal of Climate Change and Health. 2021 October. DOI: 10.1016/j.joclim.2021.100069
- Nicholas, P.K., Breakey, S., Tagliareni, E., Tuck, I., Neal-Boylan, L., Ladd, El., Corless, I.B., Reynolds, R.Y., Simmonds, K., & Lussier-Duynstee, P. (2020). Advancing a School of Nursing Center for Climate Change, Climate Justice, and Health. Annual Review of Nursing Research, 38, 1-13. DOI: 1891/0739-6686.38.145
- Collins A, Demorest S, Slutzman JE. Climate, Health Care, and the Race to Zero: An Urgent Call to Action. Journal of Climate Change and Health. 2021 October. DOI: 10.1016/j.joclim.2021.100050
- Lilienfeld, E., Nicholas, P., Breakey, S., Corliss, I. (2018). Addressing Climate Change Through a Nursing Lens Within the Framework of the SDGs: A Scoping Review. Nursing Outlook, 66(5), 482-494. DOI: 10.1016/j.outlook.2018.06.010
- Duhaime AC, et al. Healthcare Professionals Need to Be CCLEAR: Climate Collaborators, Leaders, Educators, Advocates, and Researchers. Journal of Climate Change and Health. 2021 October. DOI: 10.1016/j.joclim.2021.100078
- Nicholas, P. & Breakey, S. (2017). Climate Change, Climate Justice, and Environmental Health: Implications for the Nursing Profession. Journal of Nursing Scholarship. org/10.1111/jnu.12326
- Kelly M. Reducing the Emergency Department’s Footprint Greening the ED. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2021 September. DOI: 10.1016/j.annemergmed.2021.07.124 [Jonathan E. Slutzman, MD, is quoted in this publication]
- Linstadt H, Collins A, Slutzman E, Kimball E, Lemery J, Sorensen C, Winstead-Derlega C, Evans K, Auerbach P. The Climate-Smart Emergency Department: A Primer. Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2020 Jan. doi:10.1016/j.annemergmed.2019.11.003
- Nicholas, P.K., Breakey, S., McKinnon, S., Zeman Eddy, E., Fanuele, J., & Starodub, R. (2021). CLIMATE: A Framework for Assessment of Climate-Change Related Health Consequences in the Emergency Department. Journal of Emergency Nursing. 47 (4), 532-542. DOI: 1016/j.jen.2020.10.002
- Hsu S, Thiel C, Mello M, Slutzman J. Dumpster Diving in the Emergency Department: Quantity and Characteristics of Waste at a Level 1 Trauma Center. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine: Integrating Emergency Care with Population Health. 2020; DOI: 10.5811/westjem.2020.6.47900
Addressing Climate Change Through Education
- Armand W., Slutzman J., Communication strategies targeting climate change action at a large academic medical center, The Journal of Climate Change and Health, Volume 7, 2022, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.joclim.2022.100180
- Nicholas, P. K., Evans, L. A., Albert, M., Kelly, D., & Michelson, N. (2022). The nurse practitioner’s role in addressing chronic sequelae of Lyme disease as a climate change related disease. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 34, 579-585. doi:10.1097/JXX.0000000000000670
- Sabo, K., Starodub, R., Smoller, S., Quinn, L., Kelly, D., Flaherty, K., & Nicholas, P. K. (2022). Occupational heat stress: An overview for nurse practitioners. Journal of the American Association of Nurse Practitioners, 34, 597-603. https://doi.org/10.1097/JXX.0000000000000665
- Bernhardt, J., Tagliareni, E., Sipe, M., O’Brien, L., Donati, C., Evans, L. A., & Nicholas, P. K. (In press, 2022). Nursing Education Leadership in the Advancement of a Center for Climate Change. Journal of Nursing Education.
- Nicholas, P. K., Breakey, S., & Blank, P. (2020). Roles of Nurse Practitioners: Health Consequences of Climate Change in Vulnerable Older Adults. The Journal for Nurse Practitioners,16, 433-437. doi.org/10.1016/j.nurpra.2020.03.011
- McKinnon, S., Breakey, S., Fanuele, J. R., Kelly, D., Eddy, E. Z., Tarbet, A., Nicholas, P. K., & Viamonte Ros, A. (2022). Roles of health professionals in addressing health consequences of climate change in interprofessional education: A scoping review. Journal of Climate Change and Health. doi.org/10.1016/j.joclim.2021.100086
- Simmonds, K., Breakey, S., & Nicholas, P.K. Educating Nurse Practitioners About Climate Change, Health, and Climate Justice. Journal for Nurse Practitioners. In press
- Leffers, J., Levy, R.M., Nicholas, P.K., Sweeney, C.F. (2017). Mandate for the Nursing Profession to Address Climate Change Through Nursing Education. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 49(6), 679-687 doi.org/1111/jnu.12331
- Kuczmarski TM, Fox J, et al. Climatizing the Internal Medicine Residency Curriculum: A Practical Guide for Integrating the Topic of Climate and Health into Resident Education. Journal of Climate Change and Health. 2021 October. DOI: 10.1016/j.joclim.2021.100067
- Neal-Boylan, L., Breakey, S., & Nicholas, P. (2019). Integrating Climate Change Concepts into Nursing Curricula. Journal of Nursing Education, 58(6), 364-368. org/10.3928/01484834-20190521-09
Climate Change and Health Equity
- Nicholas, P. K., Evans, L. A., Pusey Reid, E., & Gona, C. (2021). The Intersection of Climate Change and Health: An Explication of the Future of Nursing 2020-2030: Charting a Path to Achieve Health Equity. Witness: Canadian Journal of Critical Nursing Discourse, 3 (2). doi.org/10.25071/2291-5796.114
- Simmonds, K. K., Jenkins, J., White, B., Nicholas, P. K., & Bell, J. J. (2022). Health impacts of climate change on gender diverse populations: A scoping review. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 54, 81-91. doi:10.1111/jnu.12701
Expert Perspective on the Environment and Health
- Armand, W. Your gas stove is dangerous to your health. CommonWealth Magazine. July 16 2022. URL: commonwealthmagazine.org/opinion/your-gas-stove-is-dangerous-to-your-health/.
- Armand, W. We Can’t Recycle Our Way Out of Our Plastics Crisis. It’s Time for a New Approach. Miami Herald. 2021 December.
- Armand W. Doctors Could Prescribe Greener (and Probably Fewer) Drugs. If Only They Had More Information. 2021 July.
- Nicholas, P. & Breakey, S. (2019). The economics of climate change and the intersection with conflict, violence, and migration: Implications for the nursing profession. Nursing Economic$.
- Nicholas, P.K., Breakey, S., White, B., Brown, M.J., & Fanuele, J. (2020). Mental Health Impacts of Climate Change: Perspectives for the Emergency Department Clinician. Journal of Emergency Nursing. 46(5), 590-599. DOI: 1016/j.jen.2020.05.014
- Nicholas, P.K., & Breakey, S, & Blank, P. (2020). Nurse Practitioners’ Roles: Health Consequences of Climate Change in Older Adults. Journal for Nurse Practitioners. 16 (6), 433-437. DOI: 10.1016/j.nurpra.2020.03.011.
- Solomon C, LaRocque R. Climate Change—A Health Emergency. The New England Journal of Medicine. 2019; 380:209-211; DOI: 10.1056/NEJMp1817067
- Salas R, Slutzman J, Sorensen C, Lemery J, Hess J. Climate Change and Health: An Urgent Call to Academic Emergency Medicine. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2018 Nov; DOI: 10.1111/acem.13657
Impact of COVID-19 on the Environment
- Zang, S.M., Benjenk, I., Breakey, S., Pusey-Reid, E., Barone, L., & Nicholas, P.K. (2021). The intersection of climate change with CO VID-19. Public Health Nursing, 38(2):321-335. doi: 10.1111/phn.1286612866
- Zang, S.M., Benjenk, I., Breakey, S., Pusey-Reid, E., Barone, L., & Nicholas, P.K. (2021). The intersection of climate change with COVID-19. Public Health Nursing. 38(2), 321-335. DOI: 10.1111/phn.12866
- Shultz J, Kossin J, Hertelendy A, Burkle F, Fugate C, Sherman R, Bakalar J, Berg K, Maggioni A, Espinel Z, Sands D, LaRocque R, Salas R, Galea S. Mitigating the Twin Threats of Climate-Driven Atlantic Hurricanes and COVID-19 Transmission. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness. 2020 July; 14(4), 494-503. doi:10.1017/dmp.2020.243
- Fox, J. (2022). Camus and the Climate Crisis. The Journal of Climate Change and Health. doi: 10.1016/j.joclim.2021.100103
The Center for the Environment and Health works with leadership at Mass General to integrate environmental sustainability into the clinical, research and educational activities of the hospital.