OFFICE FOR WOMEN'S CAREERS
Claflin Distinguished Scholar Awards
2020 Claflin Distinguished Scholars
Beth A. Costine-Bartell, PhD
Li Lan, MD, PhD
Radiation Oncology/Cancer Center
Camille E. Powe, MD
Meghan Sise, MD
Shannon N. Tessier, PhD
Meagan Wasfy, MD
Although women scientists are recruited to Massachusetts General Hospital programs, their advancement to senior faculty positions is still far less frequent than that of their male counterparts.
In 1993, the Women in Academic Medicine Committee, originally chaired by Mrs. Jane D. Claflin, Honorary Trustee, was established to facilitate the academic careers of women in science at MGH. Recognizing that a significant obstacle to career advancement is the difficulty of maintaining research productivity during the child-rearing years, this Committee, with the sponsorship of the Executive Committee on Research (ECOR), established the Claflin Distinguished Scholar Awards.
The purpose of the Claflin Distinguished Scholar Award is to provide bridge funding for junior faculty to sustain research productivity during the child-rearing years. ECOR has assumed the responsibility for administering these awards. It is intended that this transitional funding will increase opportunities for women to advance to senior positions in academic medicine.
- The MGH ECOR Claflin Awards provide funding for junior faculty women to sustain research productivity during their child-rearing years.
- All MGH primary investigators are eligible to apply.
- While current recipients of the Eleanor and Miles Shore Fellowship offered through HMS are not eligible to apply for this award, the Claflin review committee will consider applications from prior Shore recipients. The award period for the Shore Fellowship cannot overlap with the Claflin award period.
- MD, PhD, or equivalent advanced degree.
- Candidate must be within 10 years of first full-time faculty appointment at the time the award is initiated, cumulative of all institutions, inside or outside the United States.
- Candidate must have an academic appointment at the level of Instructor or Assistant Professor at Harvard Medical School. If the applicant's academic appointment or promotion is pending, a signed letter from the applicant's Chief must be included with the application. The letter should explain the status of the applicant's academic appointment. The Instructor or Assistant Professor appointment must be finalized before the Claflin review committee meeting.
- Primary full-time appointment at MGH.
- Conducting research at MGH.
- Evidence of salary support from a grant or other funding source: Applicants must be a Principal Investigator or co-Investigator with active federal or non-federal funding salary support, such as K award, R award, or foundation grant.
- Submission of a project description which clearly states that the applicant is the principal investigator and that their academic progress would benefit from such funding support.
- Evidence of strong research training, productivity, and a commitment to a career in fundamental (basic) and/or clinical research.
- Upon application, the candidate must be responsible for care of children.
Awards Expenditure and Start Date
Awards are for two years. The awards are $50,000 in direct costs, plus 15% indirect costs per year. Funds may be used for support of a technician, postdoctoral fellow or graduate student and supplies. Funds cannot be used for support of the investigator's salary. All applicants will be notified of the results of the review process by e-mail.
Jagsi R, Butterton JR, Starr R, Tarbell NJ. Targeted Intervention for the Career Development of Women in Academic Medicine. Arch Intern Med 2007 Feb 26:167:343-345. (Brief report on the MGH Claflin Distinguished Scholar Awards)
»EDITORIAL COMMENT: Nattinger AB. Promoting the Career Development of Women in Academic Medicine. Arch Intern Med 2007 Feb 26:167:323-324.
Claflin Consultation Initiative
If you are applying for a Claflin award, or have questions about the process, the MGH Office for Women's Careers (OWC) encourages you to take advantage of the pre-award Claflin Consultation Initiative (CCI) for potential applicants.
The OWC Claflin Consultation Initiative was developed to help applicants prepare the best proposals. Many prior Claflin winners have volunteered their time to answer questions and offer guidance and encouragement to potential applicants. Simply contact the OWC with your questions, and our staff will connect you with a Claflin alumna who is best suited to help with your specific needs.
To request a consultation, email email@example.com.
1. I have been on the faculty for eleven years now, and believe this award would be very helpful now that I have had my first child. Can I apply?
You must be within ten years of your first academic appointment, cumulative of all academic institutions.
2. I am a research fellow, but anticipate that I will be an Instructor next summer. Can I apply?
Candidates must have an academic appointment at the level of Instructor or Assistant Professor at Harvard Medical School at the time of application. If the applicant's academic appointment or promotion is pending, a signed letter from the applicant's Chief must be included with the application. The letter should explain the status of the applicant's academic appointment. The Instructor or Assistant Professor appointment must be finalized before the Claflin review committee meeting.
3. I am pregnant and this will be my first child. Am I eligible to apply?
No. You must be raising children at the time you submit the application.
4. I am a female faculty member with no children. Am I eligible to apply?
You must be raising children at the time of your application.
5. I split my time between MGH and BWH. Am I eligible to apply?
If your primary appointment is with MGH and your research is conducted at MGH, you are eligible to apply for this award.
6. My research office/laboratory is not located on the campus of MGH. Am I eligible to apply?
The research office/laboratory must be located on a MGH campus, i.e., Simches, CNY, Landsdowne, the main hospital.
Click here for all FAQs.