OFFICE FOR WOMEN'S CAREERS
Claflin Distinguished Scholar Awards
2021 Claflin Distinguished Scholar Award Winners
Applications are currently closed for the Claflin Distinguished Scholar Awards from the Executive Committee on Research (ECOR). Call will open in the Fall. Click below for an article about the 2021 Scholars!
Although women scientists are recruited to Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) programs, their advancement to senior faculty positions is still far less frequent than that of their male counterparts. In 1993, The Women in Academic Medicine Committee, originally chaired by Mrs. Jane D. Claflin, Honorary Trustee, was established to facilitate the academic careers of women in science at MGH. Recognizing that a significant obstacle to career advancement is the difficulty of maintaining research productivity during the child-rearing years, this Committee, with the sponsorship of the Executive Committee on Research (ECOR), established the Claflin Distinguished Scholar Awards. It is intended that this funding will increase opportunities for women to advance to senior positions in academic medicine.
- The MGH Claflin Distinguished Scholar Awards provide funding for junior faculty women to sustain research productivity during their child-rearing years.
- All MGH primary investigators are eligible to apply.
- While current MGH recipients of awards provided under the Eleanor and Miles Shore Faculty Development Awards Program are not eligible to apply for the MGH Claflin Distinguished Scholars award, the Claflin review committee will consider applications from prior MGH award recipients. The period for awards provided to MGH faculty as part of the Eleanor and Miles Shore Fellowship Program cannot overlap with the Claflin award period.
- MD, PhD, or equivalent advanced degree.
- Candidate must be within 10 years of her first full-time faculty appointment at the time the award is initiated, cumulative of all institutions, inside or outside the United States.
- Candidates must have an academic appointment at the level of Instructor or Assistant Professor at Harvard Medical School. If the applicant's academic appointment or promotion is pending, a signed letter from the applicant's Chief must be included with the application. The letter should explain the status of the applicant's academic appointment. The Instructor or Assistant Professor appointment must be finalized before the Claflin review committee meeting.
- Primary full-time appointment at MGH.
- Conducting research at MGH.
- Evidence of salary support from a grant or other research funding source; for example, the applicant may be a principal investigator or co-investigator with active federal or non-federal funding salary support, such as a K award, R award, or a foundation grant.
- Submission of a project description which clearly states that the applicant is the principal investigator and that their academic progress would benefit from such funding support.
- Evidence of strong research training, productivity, and a commitment to a career in fundamental (basic) and/or clinical research.
- Upon application, the candidate must be responsible for the care of a child or children.
- At Mass General Hospital we believe that because of diversity we excel. Therefore, women and URM candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Awards Expenditure and Start Date
Awards were effective July 1, 2021 and will be for two years. The awards are $50,000 in direct costs, plus 15% indirect costs per year. Funds may be used for support of a technician, postdoctoral fellow or graduate student and supplies. Funds cannot be used for support of the investigator's salary, food, parking, or travel expenses. Equipment, capital and non-capital, may not be purchased with the award funds. Exceptions require prior written approval from ECOR. All applicants were notified of the results of the review process by e-mail.
Claflin Consultation Initiative
If you are applying for a Claflin Award, and would like help preparing your application, ECOR and the Office for Women’s Careers (OWC) encourages you to take advantage of the pre-award Claflin Consultation Initiative (CCI) for applicants.
The CCI is designed to help eligible faculty prepare their best application for the 2021 Claflin Distinguished Scholar Awards. Many prior Claflin winners have volunteered their time to answer questions and offer guidance and encouragement to potential applicants. Coaches may give advice on all aspects of the application, including the research plan, budget, description of child-rearing responsibilities, and advice for repeat applicants.
Registration is closed until the next Call for Application opens.
ECOR and the Office for Women's Careers (OWC) presented a seminar for eligible applicants. The discussion will covered:
- Information about how the award can help advance your career
- Advice from recent Claflin Scholars
- Tips on putting together your best application
- Resources to help you apply
Belisomo R. Grants help level the playing field for young moms in science. Reuters Health - Healthcare & Pharma 2015 Mar 27.
Jagsi R, Butterton JR, Starr R, Tarbell NJ. A Targeted Intervention for the Career Development of Women in Academic Medicine. Arch Intern Med 2007 Feb 26:167:343-345. (Brief report on the MGH Claflin Distinguished Scholar Awards)
»EDITORIAL COMMENT: Nattinger AB. Promoting the Career Development of Women in Academic Medicine. Arch Intern Med 2007 Feb 26:167:323-324.
1. I have been on the faculty for eleven years now, and believe this award would be very helpful now that I have had my first child. Can I apply?
You must be within ten years of your first academic appointment, cumulative of all academic institutions.
2. I am a research fellow, but anticipate that I will be an Instructor next summer. Can I apply?
Candidates must have an academic appointment at the level of Instructor or Assistant Professor at Harvard Medical School at the time of application. If the applicant's academic appointment or promotion is pending, a signed letter from the applicant's Chief must be included with the application. The letter should explain the status of the applicant's academic appointment. The Instructor or Assistant Professor appointment must be finalized before the Claflin review committee meeting.
3. I am pregnant and this will be my first child. Am I eligible to apply?
No. You must be raising children at the time you submit the application.
4. I am a female faculty member with no children. Am I eligible to apply?
You must be raising children at the time of your application.
5. I split my time between MGH and BWH. Am I eligible to apply?
If your primary appointment is with MGH and your research is conducted at MGH, you are eligible to apply for this award.
6. My research office/laboratory is not located on the campus of MGH. Am I eligible to apply?
The research office/laboratory must be located on a MGH campus, i.e., Simches, CNY, Landsdowne, the main hospital.
Click here for all FAQs.