MGH/MGPO Parental Wellness Program
Thank you for visiting the PWP webpage. Our mission is to support faculty at MGH who are navigating parenthood through initiatives that promote well-being, build community, support a healthy work-life balance, and foster both personal wellness and professional productivity. Please join our mailing list, and if you are an expectant or new parent, please see the program below.
The MGH/MGPO Parental Wellness Program is designed to improve the personal well-being and professional productivity of expectant and new parents who are faculty at MGH. We welcome all family types and invite participants to join the program early in the expectant phase through the first year of your child’s life.
Who do we support?
- Faculty of all genders and gender identities
- Clinical and research faculty with a primary appointment at MGH
- You do not have to be a first time parent - we welcome all!
BENEFITS (pending eligiblity):
- Feeding and lactation stipends
- Parental Wellness Advocate (PWA) pairings: This is the opportunity to be connected to an experienced parent who provides guidance and practical strategies on navigating parental leave and the transition back to work
- Opportunity to join virtual new parent groups
- Access to lactation resources
Due to current limitations with our funding source, only faculty with a primary appointment at MGH are currently eligible to participate. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire for possible exceptions.
If you are a MGH faculty member and would like to participate in the program as an expectant or new parent (child <1 year of age), please indicate your interest by completing this form.
If you are interested in joining our Parental Wellness Advocate (PWA) roster, please indicate your interest by completing this form. We reimburse $100/hr in recognition that your time is valuable and will email you in advance of any formalized match.
Laura Dichtel and Jo Li on behalf of the MGH/MGPO Parental Wellness Program
Please email email@example.com with any questions/suggestions.
Do you have a helpful resource to share that would be great on our webpage? Let us know here!
Resources for Parental Wellness Participants
Preparing for Leave
MGH/MGPO Parental Leave
- PWP one-page summary of MGH/MGPO Parental Leave Policy
- Benefits/Leave Office extended slide deck of MGH/MGPO Parental Leave Policy
- Updated MGPO Parental Leave Policy announcement
- CFD information & FAQ on MGH/MGPO Parental Leave Program for Professional Staff
Portals and Forms
- MGB Leave of Absence Portal
- Health Care Provider form (complete and upload when requesting leave)
- Leave of Absence Checklist - Maternity Bonding
- Back to Work and Breastfeeding
- Breastfeeding Resources for Families
- EAP Lactation Resources (includes link to MGB lactation room locations)
- MGB Lactation Room Access Request Form
- MGPO Lactation Room and Backup Pump Parts Program (for MGPO Physicians only)
- MGH Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology Breastfeeding Resources
- SimpliFed Virtual Lactation Services
- Lactation consultant visits and support classes can be reimbursed through Mass General Brigham Health Plan
- Low Milk Supply Foundation
- Medications and Breastfeeding
- Milk Storage Info
- Tips for Buying a New Breast Pump
- RVU Lactation Credit Program Resources
- Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine
- This resource is helpful if you want to do a deeper, evidence-based dive into a single lactation topic.
Mental Health Support
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- General New Parent Resources
- Supports for New Dads
- Fair Play - outlines a system for how to divide up household tasks fairly, based on your needs.
- Fun Things to do with Kids in New England
- Life Coach Vicki Hoefle
Support groups for parents at MGH
Monthly Online Discussion & Support Group for Moms: Monthly Zoom meetings that allow mothers to share and learn with their colleagues, no matter the age of their children. During each session, experts share information, leaving plenty of time for questions and discussion. Mothers are welcome to join and leave the session as their schedule allows. If you’re interested in joining a session, or receiving more information about the Mothers’ Group, please email Joan Sapir: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Backup Childcare through Bright Horizons (MGB Benefit) Summary
*More to come! Stay tuned*
MGB/MGH employees can access center-based or in-home backup childcare managed by Bright Horizons. Go to this link and click “Join Today” at the top of the page. You will be prompted to create an account that will link to your MGB information and benefits.
MGB employees have access to the following (and more):
- Family Concierge Service: Free personalized and unlimited support to navigate your Bright Horizons childcare benefits.
- Center-Based Backup Care (well child): You can reserve care at the MGH Backup Center, BWH Backup Center or another more convenient participating Bright Horizons location.
- In-Home Backup Care (well or mildly ill child): You can request an in-home care provider as well. We have been told that care for a mildly ill child at home is harder to fill.
- 24/7 Bright Horizons Support for urgent needs.
Cuckoo: Free Nanny Matching Services for Healthcare Professionals
Considering a nanny? The Cuckoo team hopes to save you time by vetting and connecting you with professional nanny candidates. This unique child care benefit matches medical families with nannies who understand the needs of families in the healthcare profession.
As part of a pilot program, Cuckoo is offering matching services at no cost to Parental Wellness Program participants.
Full-time, part-time, ad hoc, weekend, overnight, and even on-call nannies available. Follow these easy steps to get started. Feel free to reach out to email@example.com with any questions.
- Parenting-related Benefits through MGB/MGPO
Grants & Awards that Support Parents
For DOM Faculty
Application for Career Awards Supplement [may need to search for updated PA]
Peer Mentoring Groups for Parents
Join one of four informal, virtual discussion groups for parents of children at various stages.
MGPO Backup Pump Parts Program
Did you forget something essential for your breast pump? The MGPO Lactation Room has an emergency stock of supplies to help! *for MGPO Physicians only
The Center for Faculty Development offers consultations and seminars to assist in the career development of faculty and trainees.