We welcome International Medical Graduate (IMG) American Board of Radiology (ABR) Alternate Pathway candidates at the at the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) and at the Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH). The four- year alternate pathway was created to provide international medical graduates an opportunity to complete four years of radiology training and then become eligible to sit for the ABR board certification exams.
- After completing a four-year alternate pathway at Mass General Brigham (MGB), international medical graduates can sit for the ABR certifying exam. Here is the link to the ABR website that provides all of the details concerning this program. https://www.theabr.org/diagnostic-radiology/initial-certification/alternate pathways/international-medical-graduates
- Applicants may complete all 4 years at BWH or MGH or may create a combined program with completion of fellowships at both MGH and BWH. We have 20 different fellowship training programs that accept fellows into the Alternate Pathway.
- We offer 1-year positions (either clinical or research) with potential to complete years 2 - 4 using a single application process.
- Candidates who are already at MGH or BWH conducting research, and wish to switch to the clinical fellowship pathway, may secure a recommendation from their research mentor and apply for years 2 - 4 as above.
- For the first year of fellowship, interviews and acceptances follow the schedule created by the Society of Chairs in Academic Radiology Departments (SCARD) and the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP).
- For years 2 - 4, the alternate pathway candidates can be considered internal candidates and are exempt from the SCARD fellowship embargo.
- After completion of two fellowships, if the fellow is in good standing, they will be sponsored to complete the last two years at MGB.
Please visit the fellowship program website of your choice for their desired application form and rules regarding submission of your application.
With the application, you will need to submit the following.
- Current CV
- 3 letters of recommendation addressed to the Program Director
- USMLE Score Reports
- Copy of ECFMG certificate
- Copy of Medical School Diploma
- Dean’s letter from Medical School
- Medical School transcripts
- Certificate of completion of residency
- Personal statement
- Professional photo
For more information, please contact:
- Fabiola Khan at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions regarding the IMG pathway at MGH
- Heather Griffin at email@example.com for questions regarding the IMG pathway at BWH