Expert Care for Your Condition
Allergy Associates, the outpatient clinical practice of the Allergy & Clinical Immunology Unit, offers expert outpatient care for all types of allergic and immunologic conditions.
Learn more about how we treat the following conditions:
- Allergic rhinitis (hay fever and other allergies)
- Asthma and related disorders
- Chronic urticaria (hives) and angioedema (swelling beneath the skin)
- Drug allergy (adverse reactions to medication)
- Eczema, or atopic dermatitis
- Food allergy
- Stinging insect allergy
When necessary, we refer patients to—and jointly manage care with—clinicians from related specialties throughout Mass General (particularly Dermatology, the Division of Infectious Diseases and Gynecologic Oncology).
We also work closely with our ear, nose and throat colleagues at the nearby Massachusetts Eye and Ear.
Members of our team include:
- Aidan Long, MD, Clinical Director (asthma, immunodeficiency, urticaria)
- Aleena Banerji, MD, Training Program Director (drug hypersensitivity, angioedema)
- Sara Barmettler, MD (immunodeficiency)
- Kimberly Blumenthal, MD (drug hypersensitivity)
- Michelle Conroy, MD (food allergy, eczema, contact dermatitis)
- Ellen Dutta, MD, Assistant Clinical Director (allergic rhinitis, asthma, urticaria, angioedema, atopic dermatitis, contact dermatitis, food allergy)
- Daniel Hamilos, MD, Director Allergy Clinical Research Unit (rhinosinusitis, nasal polyps)
- Paul Hesterberg, MD (food allergy, anaphylaxis)
- Morris Ling, MD (asthma, rhinosinusitis)
- James MacLean, MD (allergic rhinitis, asthma)
- Mandakolathur Murali, MD, Director Clinical Immunology Laboratory (eosinophilic disorders, asthma, immunodeficiency)
- Martin Ostro, MD (asthma, rhinosinusitis, urticaria)
- Sarita Patil, MD (food allergy, eosinophilic esophagitis)
- Rebecca Saff, MD, PhD (drug hypersensitivity, immunodeficiency, urticaria)
- Caroline Sokol, MD, PhD (rhinosinusitis, asthma, cough)
- Michael T. Wilson, MD, PhD (rhinosinusitis, asthma, anaphylaxis)
- Anna Wolfson, MD (allergic rhinitis, food allergy)
- Johnson Wong, MD (asthma, immunodeficiency)
Care Spanning a Lifetime
Our team focuses on treating adults but works extensively with colleagues in Allergy and Immunology at MassGeneral Hospital for Children to treat pediatric patients. We differentiate ourselves from other Boston hospitals in delivering this continuum of care, which is important as allergic diseases often affect both parents and their children.
Additionally, as part of a world-class hospital, we can undertake advanced diagnostic testing that most allergy practices cannot. Interventions such as food and drug desensitizations and challenges carry risks that Mass General is well-equipped to manage—and the patient benefits can be significant.
Leadership in Research & Education
Mass General has a rich history in allergy and immunology that dates back to the founding of the Allergy Unit in 1919. Seminal studies conducted here on the efficacy of allergy shots in the 1960s transformed how allergic diseases are treated to this day.
Today, an impressive range of research studies takes place within our division and within our Unit. Scientists in the Center for Immunology and Inflammatory Diseases (directed by Andrew Luster, MD, PhD, who is also the chief of the Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology) conduct basic research in the mechanisms of immune-mediated inflammatory diseases. Through the Allergy Clinical Research Unit, patients can take part in clinical trials of chronic sinusitis, nasal polyps and asthma.
With a strong focus on education, the Allergy & Clinical Immunology Unit is committed to preparing the next generation of great academic clinicians and basic scientists in allergy and immunology. Fellows in the Allergy and Immunology Training Program receive clinical and research training and extensive mentoring support from faculty as their careers develop.
Locations in Boston & Waltham
We offer a full range of services, including allergy injections, at our main campus in Boston. Many of our services are also available at our Waltham office. We strive to keep our waiting lists short so that we can provide consultations with minimal delay.