Massachusetts General Hospital is dedicated to providing premier benefits to our Internal Medicine Residency Program participants.
Each Massachusetts General Hospital internal medicine resident is appointed as a Resident in Medicine at Mass General and a Clinical Fellow in Medicine at Harvard Medical School, providing access to resources across both systems.
Professional Benefits and Resources
- Medical, dental, vision and disability insurance offered by the hospital at a reduced rate
- Malpractice insurance coverage by the hospital
- Assistance in managing initial costs of rental housing (Mass General Brigham Lease Guaranty Program)
- Subsidized parking and preferred access to selected parking facilities on the main campus or satellite facilities
- Facilities for parking and storage of bicycles
More details about all of these benefits can be found on the Mass General Brigham GME website.
Mass General Residency Resources
- Personalized white coat
- Outpatient clinic business cards
- Lunch every weekday at noon conference
- 9:00 pm evening meals provided by the hospital
- Meal cards for weekend and holiday on-call coverage
- House staff intranet for residency-specific information.
- SafeRide transportation program for those who commute by car
- Department computer room 24 hours/7 days a week
- Resident lounge 24 hours/7 days a week
- Gender-specific on-call sleep rooms 24 hours/7 days a week
- Internet from all hospital computers and VPN remote access
Educational and Professional Development Resources
- Harvard Medical School Countway Library
- Mass General Treadwell Library
- Mentoring and career advising opportunities within the Mass General Brigham community
- Massachusetts Medical Society membership
- ACP Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program (MKSAP) board certification study guides as senior residents
- Reduced membership rates at the nearby Charles River Park Health Club
- Nearby child care options available with the Mass General Children's Center including backup child care in an emergency
- Mass General partnership with Parents in a Pinch for in-home childcare options
Parental Leave Policy
The DOM Residency Program is committed to a supportive environment for all parents, including helping to arrange coverage for prenatal appointments, developing a personalized parental leave plan for each resident, and supporting residents who encounter intra- or postpartum complications. The DOM Residency follows the Partners GME Parental Leave Guidelines (PDF), which includes 8 weeks of leave with salary continuance for the birth or adoption of a child, with the ability to extend to 12 weeks by using vacation time. In addition, whenever possible, the DOM plans 4 weeks of a “soft landing” on ambulatory rotations or elective after leave ends to ease the transition. The DOM parental leave outlines the different types of leave available to residents, the details about maintaining ABIM compliance, and the process for scheduling leave.