A new health and economic model clearly shows why it’s imperative that food manufacturers reduce the amount of added sugar in their products.
Explore This Research Lab
Dr. Vasilyev's work is focused on kidney development and regeneration.
1) He recently discovered that zebrafish kidney epithelial cells migrate towards the glomerulus is response to luminal fluid flow. This collective cell migration leads to profound morphological changes including proximal tubule convolution and repositioning of nephron segments. His current efforts are focused on trying to uncover the molecular mechanisms underlying this novel form of collective cell migration.
2) He developed a novel assay of acute kidney injury in zebrafish using segmental photoablation of kidney tubular epithelia. He is utilizing this assay to study the relative role of cell migration, cell proliferation and cell metaplasia in acute injury and repair.
- Mangos S, Lam PY, Zhao A, Liu Y, Mudumana S, Vasilyev A, Liu A, and Drummond IA.The ADPKD genes pkd1a/b and pkd2 regulate extracellular matrix formation.Dis Model Mech. 24 March, 2010.
- Vasilyev A and Drummond IA.Fluid flow and guidance of collective cell migration.Cell Adh Migr. 2010. 4(3).
- Vasilyev A, Liu Y, Mudumana S, Mangos S, Lam PY, Majumdar A, Zhao J, Poon KL, Kondrychyn I, Korzh V, and Drummond IA.Collective cell migration drives morphogenesis of the kidney nephron.PLoS Biol.2009. 7(1): e9.
- Mudumana SP, Hentschel D, Liu Y, Vasilyev A, and Drummond IA.Odd skipped related1 reveals a novel role for endoderm in regulating kidney versus vascular cell fate.Development. 2008. 135(20): 3355-67.
- Aug | 13 | 2021
In this interview, Kerry Reynolds, MD chats with Meghan Sise, MD, director of onconephrology at Mass General Hospital, to learn more about how immune checkpoint inhibitor (ICI) therapy affects kidney function.
- Press Release
- Jul | 8 | 2021
Las puntuaciones de riesgo genético podrían mejorar la identificación clínica de los pacientes con mayor riesgo de infarto
Un equipo descubrió recientemente que la aplicación de la PRS puede identificar a los pacientes de riesgo que actualmente no se identifican mediante las evaluaciones clínicas estándar.
- Press Release
- Jun | 7 | 2021
Automated emails and letters that provide personalized feedback related to cafeteria purchases at work may help employees make healthier food choices.
- Staff Story
- Nov | 17 | 2020
Winfred W. Williams, MD, has been named a deputy editor of The New England Journal of Medicine. Williams, who is associate chief of the Division of Nephrology, becomes the first African American to serve in that role.
- Press Release
- Sep | 2 | 2020
Mass General study demonstrates that kidneys infected with hepatitis C can be safely transplanted into healthy recipients
Mass General study demonstrates that kidneys infected with hepatitis C can be safely transplanted into healthy recipients.
About the Nephrology Division
The Division of Nephrology at Massachusetts General Hospital is a leading provider of services for patients with kidney disease, including diagnosis and management of kidney diseases and medical management of renal transplantation.