NewsJun | 10 | 2022
2022 Drs. Ayeez and Shelena Lalji & Family ALS Endowed Award for Innovative Healing
The Sean. M. Healey & AMG Center for ALS at Massachusetts General Hospital is accepting nominations for the 2022 Drs. Ayeez and Shelena Lalji & Family ALS Endowed Award for Innovative Healing in acknowledgement of the important scientific work being done in ALS. This award is to honor Dr. Ayeez Lalji, a devoted father and husband, who has been valiantly and courageously living with ALS since 2017. The mission of the Lalji ALS Foundation is to bring awareness and innovation to help find a cure for ALS. The foundation is focused on repair, regeneration and technology to restore function and improve quality of life for people affected by ALS. This award will recognize an individual or team of investigators for excellence in their transformative scientific discoveries focused on repair and regeneration of neurological function in ALS.
We encourage nominations for Individual or team of investigators who have made significant progress in the ALS field impacting repair and regeneration in ALS, including, but not limited to the following:
- Identification of key modulators of axonal, glial, and neuronal health and degeneration
- Novel therapies including stem cell therapies to repair and/or regenerate axons, motor neurons or glia
- Modalities to enhance neuroplasticity that lead to repair and regeneration
- A root cause-based protocol or system that leads to reduction of inflammation and improvement of neuronal, glial, and/or axonal function
- Neuro-technologies that restore function or communication and enhance quality of life
- Novel methods to increase and improve endogenous neurogenesis
- Restoring nerve muscle communication
Award: $40,000 USD
- Applicant must have an MD, PhD or equivalent degree and be a leader in the field of ALS or regenerative medicine/biology with a strong publication record.
- The proposal must have a strong scientific rationale with a focus on repair of neurological function.
- Inclusion of preliminary findings demonstrating approach and feasibility in preclinical models is recommended.
- International applicants are encouraged to apply.
The awardees will be selected by members of the Lalji family, Healey Center Scientific Advisory Council, NEALS PEACe Committee and advisors who are living with ALS.
Our Goal is to identify therapies and modalities to regain lost function in people living with ALS.
Timeline for Submission
Release Date: June 10, 2022
Nomination Due Date: August 5, 2022
Notification to successful candidate: Fall 2022
Presentation of award: 33rd International Symposium on ALS/MND, December 2022Download nomination form
About the 2021 Award Recipients Watch the Award Ceremony Video
About the Healey Center for ALS About The Lalji ALS Foundation and ALS Heroes
Centers and Departments
Support the Sean M. Healey and AMG Center for ALS
Your support helps us provide excellent patient care today, and expands the boundaries of what will be possible in the future.
Clinical Trial Options at Mass General
At the Sean M. Healey and AMG Center for ALS, we are committed to radical change and acceleration of converting ALS research into enduring treatments.
Support Our Work
When you support the Sean M. Healey and AMG Center for ALS, you are making a significant impact to advancing patient care, research and education at the hospital.