Explore This Center
Our certification as an Advanced Comprehensive Stroke Center demonstrates Massachusetts General Hospital’s continuous commitment to advancing the care of stroke patients in Boston, New England and nationwide. Our groundbreaking research and excellent clinical care will continue to impact the lives of patients, restore hope and prevent the disability associated with stroke.
If you or a family member arrive at Mass General as soon as stroke symptoms occur, we will provide immediate evaluation of your symptoms to determine if stroke is a possibility, quick imaging and timely treatment for people who meet the criteria for acute treatments. Our goal is to treat as quickly as possible to be able to help you achieve your best functional outcome post stroke.
Our mission reflects Mass General’s commitment to patient care, research and teaching. We aim to provide the best possible care for patients with cerebrovascular disease, and to conduct cutting edge scientific research to improve stroke prevention, acute stroke management, and stroke recovery. Furthermore, we educate fellows, residents, medical students, and peers to provide state of the art care.
We provide high quality, integrated clinical care to all stroke patients hospitalized at Mass General in all phases of care from prevention to acute intervention and recovery. Our multidisciplinary stroke team includes vascular neurologists, Emergency Department physicians, neurosurgeons, radiologists, nurses, pharmacists, rehabilitation therapy professionals, case managers and social workers to provide evidence-based treatment for the most complex stroke cases. Special programs are led by faculty in:
- Stroke in the young
- Hemorrhagic stroke
- Stroke prevention
- Cerebrovascular ultrasound
- Pediatric stroke
- Rehabilitation and recovery
- Neurorestoration and neurotechnology
- Fibromuscular dysplasia
- TeleNeurology virtual visits
Our faculty members are nationally recognized leaders in the field of stroke who have guided the development of the field for decades, and hold multiple foundation, and federal grants across a wide spectrum of topics from disease biology to translational therapeutics. Former graduates of the program lead many of the major academic vascular neurology programs in the U.S. and internationally.
- Director, MGH Acute Stroke Service
- Associate Director, MGH Comprehensive Stroke Center
- Instructor in Neurology, Harvard Medical School
- Director of Cerebrovascular and Endovascular Neurosurgery
- Co-Director of the Neuroendovascular Program
- Sr. Administrative Director, Department of Neurology
- Program Director, Mass General Neuroscience
- Director, MGH Comprehensive Stroke Center
- Vice Chair, Department of Neurology
- Associate Professor of Neurology, Harvard Medical School