Equity and Community Health
Equity in the COVID-19 Response
The Mass General Equity and Community Health COVID Response Team is led by Joseph Betancourt, MD, MPH, VP, and Chief Equity and Inclusion Officer, with Joan Quinlan, MPA, VP of Community Health. Aswita Tan-McGrory, MBA, MSPH, Director of the Disparities Solutions Center, is also part of the Response Team. The team focuses on ensuring that clinical interactions meet the needs of diverse populations and that the critical social needs of our communities are addressed.
COVID19: Mass General Physician Answers Commonly Asked Questions in Arabic
Yousef Badran, MD, of the Mass General Department of Medicine, answers questions about the virus in this short clip.
Coronavirus (COVID-19): Latest Updates
Mass General has activated its Hospital Incident Command System (HICS) in response to the ongoing Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Mass General Community Health Response to COVID-19
As part of the ongoing commitment to supporting underserved communities, Mass General launched its Equity and Community Health COVID Response Team.
COVID-19: Tackling Inequalities and Disparities
As COVID-19 cases climb, disadvantaged populations suffer the worst. Learn how Mass General is reducing disparities and expanding access to care.
More Resources from Mass GeneralNurse-midwives Continue to Play Important Role in Ensuring Safe Deliveries
- Everett Independent: Community Non-Profits Could Play a Role in Mental Health Restoration for Latino Communities
- USA Today: Tackling poverty in a coronavirus-induced economic downturn: Is it too risky or the right thing to do?
- NBC Boston: A Lifeline Through Language: Hospital Interpreters Critical During Coronavirus Outbreak
- Boston.com: ‘This disease is just crushing communities of color’: Emergency room doctors on how COVID-19 is laying bare inequities in health care
- The Hill: Language barriers can mean life or death in fight against coronavirus
- New York Times: When Coronavirus Care Gets Lost in Translation
- Boston Globe: Chelsea’s spike in coronavirus cases challenges hospitals and state
- NPR/Morning Edition: How COVID-19 Patients Are Affected By Health And Other Disparities
- CBS Boston: Coronavirus Affecting Massachusetts Working Class Communities More Than Others
- WBUR 90.9: Minority Communities are Being Hit Hard by the Coronavirus
- WBUR 90.9: For Non-English Speakers, Language Barriers Become Dire Amid Outbreak
- Boston Globe: Coronavirus may be hitting harder in Black and Latino communities
- Boston Globe: Chelsea, city of the working Latino immigrant, emerges as a COVID-19 hotspot
- El Planeta: La barrera del idioma se agrava en medio del brote de coronavirus para aquellas personas que no hablan inglés
- Telemundo: CVS provee exámenes para detectar coronavirus en Lowell
- Telemundo: Abrirán clínica respiratoria en Chelsea tras aumento de casos de coronavirus
Learn more about the Center for Community Health Improvement (CCHI)
Focusing on the social determinants of health—factors such as housing, education, employment and access to care—CCHI brings together people and resources to address health inequities and build healthy, safe and thriving communities.