In September 2022, Mass General’s Orthopaedic Trauma Service was chosen to host the inaugural class of the Orthopaedic Trauma Association’s Roy Sanders Traveling Fellows.
Abhiram Bhashyam, MD, PhD
Abhiram Bhashyam, MD, PhD
Hand & Arm Orthopaedic Surgeon
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Hand & Arm Service
55 Fruit St.
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114
Hand & Arm Service at Mass General Waltham
52 Second Ave.
3rd Floor, Suite 3300
Waltham, MA 02451
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency Program
- Fellowship, University of Washington Medical Center
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
To improve patient care directly and rapidly, Dr. Bhashyam applies research methodologies from non-medical fields to study clinical and translational research topics in orthopaedic surgery. Recent interdisciplinary and innovative projects include studies on patient outcomes/quality improvement, surgical education, the role of socioeconomic factors in patient care, opioids in orthopaedics, and mathematical modeling. His current research has three focus areas:
- Outcomes/quality improvement in trauma and upper extremity surgery, especially the role of socioeconomic factors in patient care
- Surgical education
- Mathematical modeling and imaging, especially patient-specific simulation
- Abhiram R. Bhashyam, Jerry Huang. Hand and Wrist Injuries, Fractures and Reconstruction; Microsurgery and Replantation. Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 14. 2021. Chicago, IL: AAOS Publishing.
- Bhashyam AR, McGovern MM, Mueller T, et al. The Personal Financial Burden Associated with Musculoskeletal Trauma. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019 Jul 17;101(14):1245-1252.
- Bhashyam AR, and Dyer GSM. "Virtual" Boot Camp: Orthopaedic Intern Education in the Time of COVID-19 and Beyond. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020 Sep 1;28(17):e735-e743.
- Bhashyam AR, Fernandez DL, Fernandez dell'Oca A, and Jupiter JB. Dorsal Barton fracture is a variation of dorsal radiocarpal dislocation: a clinical study. J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2019 Dec;44(10):1065-1071.
- Bhashyam AR, and Jupiter JB. Revision Fixation of Distal Humerus Fracture Nonunions in Older Age Patients with Poor Bone Quality or Bone Loss - Is This Viable as a Long-term Treatment Option?. Arch Bone Jt Surg. 2019 May;7(3):251-257.
- Bhashyam AR, Ochen Y, van der Vliet QMJ, et al. Association of Patient-reported Outcomes With Clinical Outcomes After Distal Humerus Fracture Treatment. J Am Acad Orthop Surg Glob Res Rev. 2020 Feb;4(2).
- Bhashyam AR, Liu Y, and Kao DS. Targeted Peripheral Nerve Interface: Case Report with Literature Review. Plast Reconstr Surg Glob Open. 2021 Apr;9(4):e3532.
- Bhashyam AR, Fils J, Lowell J, et al. A novel approach for needs assessment to build global orthopedic surgical capacity in a low-income country. J Surg Educ. 2015 Jul-Aug;72(4):e2-8.
- Bhashyam AR*, Basilico M*, Harris MB, and Heng M. Prescription Opioid Type and the Likelihood of Prolonged Opioid Use After Orthopaedic Surgery. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019 May 1;27(9):e423-e429.