Schizophrenia Patient Resources
There’s a lot of confusion and stigma surrounding schizophrenia. Learn more about this illness and how it is diagnosed.
Get answers to frequently asked questions about psychosis and schizophrenia for both patients and family members.
Learn about the services offered in the First-episode and Early Psychosis Program.
I cannot say enough good things about this place. Since coming here a few months back, I started a new medication and my life has literally turned around.
Patient, Schizophrenia Clinical & Research Program
For General Information
- Medscape Schizophrenia Resource Center
- Open the Doors - Information in eight languages
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Brain & Behavior Research Foundation
- Psychosis Sucks
- National Alliance for the Mentally Ill
For Medication Information
- Amador, X. (2000). I am Not Sick. I Don’t Need Help! Helping the Seriously Mentally Ill Accept Treatment. Peconic: Vida Press.
- Dickens, R. & Marsh, D. (Eds.). (1994). Anguished Voices: Siblings and Adult Children of Persons with Psychiatric Disabilities. Boston: Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation, Sargent College of Allied Health Professions.
- Gottesman, I.I. (1990). Schizophrenia Genesis: The Origins of Madness. New York: Henry Holt and Company.
- Keefe, R.S.E. & Harvey, P.D. (1994). Understanding Schizophrenia. New York: Free Press.
- Marsh, D.T. & Dickens, R. (1997). How to Cope with Mental Illness in Your Family: A Self Care Guide for Siblings, Offspring, and Parents. New York: Jeremy P. Tarcher/ Putnam.
- Mueser, K.T. & Gingerich, S. (1994). Coping with Schizophrenia: A Manual for Families, Consumers, and Providers. New Harbinger Publications.
- Temes, R. (2002). Getting Your Life Back Together When You Have Schizophrenia. New Harbinger Publications.
- Torrey, E.F. (1995). Surviving Schizophrenia: A Manual for Families, Consumers, and Providers. New York: Harper Collins Publishers, Inc.
- Woolis, R. (1992). When Someone You Love Has a Mental Illness: A Handbook for Families and Friends. New York: Jeremy P. Tarcher/ Putnam.
- Friedman, M. (2000). Everything You Need to Know About Schizophrenia. New York: The Rosen Publishing Group.
- Schiller, L., & Bennett, A. (1996). The Quiet Room: A Journey Out of the Torment of Madness. New York: Warner Books Inc.
- Simon, C. (1997). Mad House: Growing Up in the Shadow of Mentally Ill Siblings. New York: Penguin Books.
- Olson, L.S. (1994). He Was Still My Daddy. Portland: Ogden House Publishing Co.
- Sexton, L.G. (1994). Searching for Mercy Street: My Journey Back to My Mother. Boston: Little Brown & Co.