Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Rheumatology
55 Fruit St.
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Fellowship, UC San Francisco
American Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Rheumatology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Research: I co-founded and directed the Vasculitis Center at Johns Hopkins University, where I directed a multi-center, randomized clinical trial in Wegener's granulomatosis. The results of this trial were published in The New England Journal of Medicine (2005). This trial, the first-ever NIH-funded randomized clinical trial in vasculitis, paved the way for subsequent trials and investigations in vasculitis on an international scale.
I am currently the Co-PI of a second multi-center clinical trial in ANCA-associated vasculitis: Rituximab in ANCA-Associated Vasculitis (RAVe). This trial, which includes 8 centers in both the United States and Europe, is sponsored by the Immune Tolerance Network (NIAID). The primary results of this trial were recently published in The New England Journal of Medicine (2010).
My most current research interest pertains to an emerging disease known as IgG4-related systemic disease (IgG4-RSD). My research group at the MGH made the seminal observation that rituximab therapy leads to the targeted reduction of the IgG4 subclass of immunoglobulins in this disorder, with maintenance of normal levels of other IgG subclasses.
Selected Research Investigation Publications
25. The WGET Research Group (Principal Investigator and Chairman, Writing Committee: Stone JH). Etanercept Plus Standard Therapy for Wegener's Granulomatosis. N Engl J Med 2005;352(4):351-61.
Khosroshahi A, Bloch DB, Deshpande V, Stone JH. Rituximab therapy leads to swift decline of serum IgG4 levels and prompt clinical improvement in IgG4-related systemic disease. Arthritis & Rheumatism 2010; 62:1755-62.
68. Stone JH, Merkel PA, Spiera R et al. Rituximab Compared With Cyclophosphamide For Remission Induction In ANCA-Associated Vasculitis. N Engl J Med 2010; 363:221-32.
Ramos-Casals M, Stone JH, Cid MC, Bosch X. The Cryoglobulinemias. The Lancet (In press, February, 2011).