The Massachusetts General Hospital Trauma Center provides comprehensive, expert care to adult and pediatric trauma patients with the most critical injuries.
The Mass General Trauma Center treats patients with the most critical injuries and is a major referral center in New England for patients of all ages. We offer exceptional 24-hours-a-day on-site trauma specialists, and our state-of-the-art facility is fully equipped to handle any medical or surgical emergency. Each year, we have more than 2,500 trauma admissions—the highest in Massachusetts.
The Mass General Trauma Center is verified as a Level 1 Adult Trauma Center and Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Center by the American College of Surgeons. The Sumner Redstone Burn Center at Mass General, which coordinates seamlessly with the Trauma Center, is one of the few American Burn Association-verified burn centers in New England.
Expert, Collaborative Care
Our multidisciplinary team includes highly trained trauma surgeons, trauma psychiatrists, rehabilitation physicians, injury prevention specialists, trauma nurse practitioners, and occupational and physical therapists. We work closely with specialists across various disciplines at Mass General to provide optimal care to patients for every aspect of injury and recovery:
- Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine
- Burn, Acute and Critical Care Program
- Emergency Medicine
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthopaedic Trauma Service
- Pediatric Trauma Center
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Psychiatry Service
- Trauma, Emergency Surgery and Surgical Critical Care
- Trauma Injury Prevention and Outreach Program
A Leader in Trauma Research and Education
At Mass General, our physicians are committed to discovering new methods of treating critically ill trauma patients through laboratory, outcomes and clinical research programs. Our research targets critical aspects of early trauma care, focusing on clearly defined and achievable research goals. Our team members bring together expertise in basic science research, clinical outcomes, injury prevention and translational research. We are also leaders in biomedical research and the discovery of new tools and methods that reduce the rate of mortality after trauma.
We provide ongoing education for the next generation of trauma professionals, including residents, fellows, nurses, medical students and international medical graduates. We offer a Trauma Research Fellowship and direct the annual Trauma and Critical Care Symposium. Learn more about our research and educational opportunities.
Partnerships with Community Hospitals
Mass General partners with community hospitals to improve care for patients who are injured a great distance from a Level I trauma center. We offer telecommunication capabilities and trauma transfer agreements to facilitate prompt identification of patients with severe injuries and expedite transfers, if needed. The Mass General Trauma Center has relationships with the following affiliate hospitals:
- Central Maine Medical Center, Lewiston, ME
- Elliot Hospital, Manchester, NH
- Southern New Hampshire Medical Center, Nashua, NH
- Steward Health Care:
- Carney Hospital, Dorchester, MA
- Good Samaritan Medical Center, Brockton, MA
- Holy Family Hospital, Methuen, MA
- Merrimack Valley Hospital, Haverhill, MA
- Morton Hospital, Taunton, MA
- Nashoba Valley Medical Center, Ayer, MA
- Norwood Hospital, Norwood, MA
- Quincy Medical Center, Quincy, MA
- Saint Anne's Hospital, Fall River, MA
- St. Elizabeth's Medical Center, Brighton, MA
- Wentworth-Douglass Hospital, Dover, NH