Blocking serum- and glucocorticoid-regulated kinase may overcome insulin resistance, a hallmark of the disease.
View our upcoming programs
50 Staniford Street
Boston, MA 02114
Mass General Hospital for Children
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care
32 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114
Explore This Program
Support & Education
When you have diabetes, managing your life can be difficult, Managing medications, blood glucose testing, and diet while carrying on with all of life's demands can make diabetes a difficult condition to manage and control. Your diabetes care team can help. The Diabetes Self Management Education and Support (DSME/S) Program is an outpatient program designed for adults who want to learn more about managing their diabetes. We offer individual counseling and group classes to help you learn how to manage your diabetes. Participants are encouraged to invite a guest at no additional charge.
We offer an education and support program designed for adults who want to learn more about managing their diabetes.
Our group classes are structured so that we meet the needs of all of our patients. Access our calendar for details about our support groups. We also offer a lifetime support program for patients that have received diabetes education. We offer frequent support groups that meet in a safe and welcoming environment.
Each participating Massachusetts General Hospital practice offers a complete program for patients with type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
Patients and families will learn more about:
- The causes of diabetes
- Preventing short- and long-term complications
- Goal setting
- Psychological adjustment to living with diabetes
Referrals are necessary to enroll in a program and must be conducted by your primary care physician.
Once the referral form (PDF) is signed, you can mail/fax or give it to the diabetes educator who will be working with you on diabetes education.
Classes and Costs
Programs are covered by most insurance groups including Medicare. Please confirm with your insurance provider to verify your benefits before scheduling an appointment.
Support groups are provided free of charge to our patients and their families.
View our upcoming programs
Conditions & DiseasesThe care team at the Diabetes Clinical Center encourages all patients and family members to learn more about strategies to manage diabetes and related conditions and diseases. The links below provide more information about the conditions and diseases that might be treated within this program.
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Gestational Diabetes
- Diabetic Foot Problems
- Diabetic Nephropathy (Kidney Disease)
- Diabetic Neuropathy (Nerve Problems)
- Diabetic Retinopathy and Other Eye Problems
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Locations & ProgramsOur DSME programs have been recognized by the American Diabetes Association for Quality Self-Management Education.
- Patients enrolled in the DSME program at the Diabetes Center receive an individual visit with a diabetes educator. Patients may also elect to participate in a series of group education sessions facilitated by a diabetes educator. Patients are encouraged to bring a family member or friend for support.
- DSME classes are offered for adult patients diagnosed with type 1 and type 2 diabetes and meet on site at the Diabetes Center near the main campus at Massachusetts General Hospital.
- Diabetes Support Groups are offered monthly for adult patients diagnosed with type 1 and type 2 diabetes and meet on site at the Diabetes Center near the main campus at Massachusetts General Hospital. Patients can drop in and are encouraged to bring a family member or friend for support.
- Tiffany Soper NP, CDE
- Anne Lukowski, RD, CDE
- Stephanie Trottier, RN
- Tiffany Ting, NP
- Briana Kilduff, RN
- Casey Lynch, NP
DSME classes are offered for children diagnosed with type 1 and type 2 diabetes. For more information consult Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes and the Mass General Hospital for Children.
Our Diabetes Educators:
- Leah Berthold, RN, CDE
- Diana Buckley-Uhrich, RN, CDE
- Kelly Cutillo, RN, CDE
- Eileen Galvin, RN, CDE
Suzie and Ray - DSME ComicRead the first chapter of our introduction to insulin comic. Also available in Spanish.
Related Information in English
- Type 1 Diabetes (PDF)
- Type 2 Diabetes (PDF)
- Type 2 Diabetes Medications (PDF)
- Insulin (PDF)
- Self-Monitoring Blood Sugar (PDF)
- Diabetes Travel Guide (PDF)
- Healthy Lifestyle for People with Diabetes (PDF)
- Being Active When You Have Diabetes (PDF)
- Sick Day Guidelines (PDF)
Información Relacionada en Español
- Diabetes del Tipo 1 (PDF)
- Diabetes del Tipo 2 (PDF)
- Medicamentos para Tratar la Diabetes Tipo 2 (PDF)
- Auto-Control de la Glucemia (Glucosa) (PDF)
- Insulina (PDF)
- Estilo de Vida Saludable para las Personas con Diabetes (PDF)
- Guía de Viaje para Diabéticos (PDF)
- Permanecer Activo Cuando Se Tiene Diabetes (PDF)
- Pautas para los Días de Enfermedad (PDF)
Frequently Asked Questions about DSME
How do I know if DSME is right for me?
It might be if you:
- Have an HbA1c greater than 7
- Do not know what your HbA1C is
- Are newly diagnosed with Type II diabetes
- Have uncontrolled diabetes
- Have had a recent change in treatment for your diabetes
- Have recently started on insulin
- Are experiencing complications from diabetes
- Are unsure about a balanced meal plan to manage your diabetes
How do I know if Diabetes Support Groups are right for me?
They might be if:
- You enjoy receiving support from your peers
- You want to stay up to date on developments in diabetes
- You enjoy ongoing discussion with people who also have diabetes
- You want to meet others who understand what it means to live with diabetes
- Talk to your primary care provider about a referral.
- Jul | 14 | 2020
As scientists learn more about COVID-19, it has become clear that the virus impacts people in different ways and that symptoms can range in severity.
- Jul | 14 | 2020
La Dra. Janaki Vakharia, becaria clínica de la División de Endocrinología de Massachusetts General Hospital, analiza el impacto del COVID-19 en las personas con diabetes y ofrece consejos sobre cómo controlar la diabetes durante este período.
- Nov | 13 | 2019
Episode #31 of the Charged podcast
- Nov | 4 | 2019
The Mass General Diabetes Center and AllWays Health Partners are pleased to announce an exciting new program, the PATH TO LIFESTYLE CHANGE.
- Dec | 20 | 2018
Clarivate Analytics' annual Highly Cited Researchers Report was released earlier this month, and we are pleased to announce that 37 investigators from Massachusetts General Hospital made the list.