- Centers & Specialties
- Neuro-Oncology (Brain)
- Clinical Interests
- Primary brain tumors
- Brain and spinal cord tumors
- Medical Education
- MD, PhD, Tulane University School of Medicine
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
McQueen M, MacCollin M, Gusella J, Plotkin SR. Patient and Physician Attitudes Toward Clinical Trials in Neurofibromatosis 1. J Neurosci Nurs. 2008;40(6):341-345.
Cai W, Kassarjian A, Bredella M, Yochido H, Harris G, Mautner V, Wenzel R, and Plotkin SR. Determination of Tumor Burden in NF1, NR2, and Schwannomatosis on Whole Body MR Images. Radiology. 2009; (250): 665-673.
Plotkin SR, Halpin C, Blakeley JO, et al. Suggested response criteria for phase II antitumor drug studies for neurofibromatosis type 2 related vestibular schwannoma. J. Neuroonc. 2009;93(1):61-77.
Plotkin SR, Stemmer-Rachamimov AO, Barker II FG Halpin C, Padera TP, Tyrell A, Sorensen AG, Jain RK and di Tomaso E. Hearing improvement after bevacizumab in patient with neurofibromatosis 2. NEJM. 2009;361(4): 358-367.
El-Jawahri A, Podgurski LM, Eichler AF, Plotkin SR, Temel JS, Mitchell SL, Chang Y, Barry MJ, Volandes AE. Use of Video to FAcilitate End-of-Life Discussions with Patients With Cancer: A Randomized Controlled Trial. J Clin Oncol 2009.
In 2012, when 30-year-old Quincy resident Alex Cellucci was nine months pregnant, she was diagnosed with neurofibromatosis, a genetic disorder that disturbs cell growth in the nervous system, enabling tumors to grow on any nerve in the body.
Neurofibromatosis type 2 (NF2) is a genetic condition associated with bilateral vestibular schwannomas. It is rare, affecting only about one in 25,000 people.
Treatment with the angiogenesis inhibitor bevacizumab improved hearing and alleviated other symptoms in patients with neurofibromatosis type 2 (NF2). The study by researchers from Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) represents the first report of a successful NF2 treatment not involving surgery or radiation.
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114
Phone 1: 617-724-8770