- Clinical Interests
- Alzheimer's disease
- Medical Education
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Patient Age Group
I am a board certified neurologist who has been working in aging and Alzheimer's Disease (AD) imaging research for 15 years. My laboratory is focused on elucidating the neural underpinnings of memory loss in early Alzheimer's disease (AD) and developing neuroimaging markers of progression in preclinical and prodromal stages of AD. My work includes multiple imaging modalities including functional and structural MRI and PET amyloid imaging. I serve as the Director of the Neuroimaging Program at the Massachusetts Alzheimer's Disease Research Center (ADRC) at Massachusetts General Hospital. I also lead the AD clinical trials program across Brigham and Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital. I serve on the Steering committee of the Alzheimer's Disease Cooperative Study (ADCS), the Alzheimer's Disease Neuroimaging Initiative (ADNI), and the Dominantly Inherited Alzheimer Network (DIAN), and have the honor of chairing the National Institute on Aging/Alzheimer's Association Workgroup on Preclinical AD.
- Sperling RA, LaViolette PS, o'Keefe K, et al. Amyloid Deposition is Associated with Impaired Default Network Function in Older Persons without Dementia. Neuron 2009; 63: 178-188. PMC2738994
- O'Brien JL, O'Keefe KM, LaViolette PS, DeLuca AN, Blacker D, Dickerson BC, Sperling RA. Longitudinal fMRI in elderly reveals loss of hippocampal activation with clinical decline. Neurology 2010;74(24):1969-76.
- Becker JA, Hedden T, Carmasin J, Maye J, Rentz D, Putcha D, Fischl B, Greve D, Marshall GA, Salloway S, Marks D, Buckner RL, Sperling RA, Johnson KA. Amyloid-beta Associated Cortical Thinning in Clinically Normal Elderly. Annals of Neurology, in press (available on line).
Can anti-amyloid antibody treatment reverse Alzheimer's disease pathology before memory loss sets in?
In this issue: spinal metastases & stereotactic radiosurgery; skull base tumors & endoscopic surgery; pediatric epilepsy dietary therapy; Alzheimer Disease: tau pathology; drug & gene discovery; early treatment; preclinical diagnostic tools.
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114
Phone 1: 617-726-5571