Snow update and information: 12:30 p.m. Thursday, February 9, 2017
The latest forecasts call for a projected snowfall total between 10 and 14 inches with wind gusts of up to 35 mph throughout the Boston area throughout the day. The hospital is always open and will continue to remain operational throughout the storm. We greatly appreciate the hard work and dedication of all of our staff.
Your safety and the safety of our patients remains our primary concern. All employees, not just clinical staff, are considered essential and should make every effort to report to work.
In accordance with our Severe Weather and Emergency Conditions Policy, employees should consider their personal safety and use their best judgment when deciding whether to come to work. Any employee who is scheduled to work and does not work must use Earned Time.
A reminder that your MGH employee ID badge serves as a disaster pass in the case of a public emergency and allows travel. Please give yourself extra time so you may travel safely.
Please also review and share with staff the updated information below about arrangements under way at the hospital.
MBTA Remains at Full Service
At this time the MBTA continues to run a regular, full service. Please monitor http://www.mbta.com/winter/commuter_rail_advisory/ for service alerts and severe weather planning, including the reduced service schedule.
Sleep rooms will be available starting at 7 p.m. tonight. The Materials Management Office will coordinate sleeping arrangements, and can be reached at 617-726-9144.
- To reserve a spot in a shared sleep room:
- Call the Materials Management customer service line (617-726-9144) to make a reservation.
- When ready to check-in to sleep, staff must go to the Materials Management Customer Service Office (Lunder Lower Level, Room 020) to receive a room assignment and linens.
- Materials Management will not provide individual callbacks to staff.
- Staff must go in-person to receive a sleep room assignment.
- Staff may cancel a sleep room reservation by calling the Materials Management Office (617-726-9144)
Employees who wish to stay in a hotel can check availability and are encouraged to ask about “snow rates.” As a reminder, the hospital cannot reimburse employees for hotel costs and MGH does not have any influence over hotel rates.
- Wyndham Boston, Beacon Hill reservation number: 617-742-0461
- Liberty Hotel reservation number: 617-224-4000
- Beacon Hill Hotel reservation number: 617-723-7575
- The John Jeffries House: 617-367-1866
- Royal Sonesta: 617-806-4200
- The Boxer Hotel: 617-624-0202
Transportation and Parking
Due to the severity of the storm, employees who have Nashua Street parking, as well as those with night and weekend parking, may enter the front garages after 11:30 a.m. today. Those who worked last night’s overnight shift through tonight’s overnight shift will be able to exit the garages with their ID badge; there is no need to contact the Parking office. Please remember staff must exit the garage before 9:30 am on Friday morning.
At this time, there are no additional changes to parking garages. Staff who normally take public transportation, but because of the storm choose to drive in, can park in one of the area garages listed below. Please remember that MGH is unable to reimburse employees for these costs. Also, parking rates and duration of stay in these garages are subject to increases if there is an event at the TD Garden.
Parking locations and daily rate:
- Government Center garage 50 New Sudbury St. $35
- North Station garage 121 Nashua St. $34
- Lomasney/Garden garage 35 Lomasney Way $35
- The Government Center garage and the North Station garage are served by the Partners Transportation shuttle system.
Ways to stay informed about the impact and severity of the storm
- MGH Twitter
- MGH Facebook
The Severe Weather and Emergency Conditions hotline also is available 24 hours per day and is updated as new information is available: 866-798-8402.
The Clubs at Charles River Park will close at noon today.
The Paul S. Russell, MD Museum of Medical History and Innovation will close at 2 pm today
Partners in emergency response