The Department of Surgery's leading-edge research programs contribute important new knowledge to both the surgical and broader medical communities.
Our research programs include:
- Andrew L. Warshaw, MD, Institute for Pancreatic Cancer Research
- Burns Center
The Burns Center conducts research into several areas, including wound healing, metabolism, inflammation and infection.
- Cardiac Surgery
The Division of Cardiac Surgery, located within the Heart Center, performs leading-edge cardiovascular research.
- Center for Surgery, Innovation & Bioengineering
The Center for Surgery, Innovation & Bioengineering investigates novel, engineering-based biomedical approaches to improve the delivery of health care to patients worldwide.
- Codman Center for Clinical Effectiveness in Surgery (CCCES)
The Codman Center for Clinical Effectiveness in Surgery is is an academic and service program established by the Department of Surgery to encourage and support surgical outcomes research at Mass General.
- General and Gastrointestinal Surgery
Part of the Digestive HealthCare Center, the Division of General and Gastrointestinal Surgery researches minimally invasive techniques, gastrointestinal epithelial biology, and more.
- Pediatric Surgery
Pediatric surgeons at MassGeneral Hospital for Children conduct research in several laboratories, including:
- Pediatric Surgical Research Laboratories, which focus on developmental biology and how the tools of development and molecular biology can be brought to bear on children with congenital abnormalities
- Tissue Engineering & Organ Fabrication Laboratory, which is designing and building new, living tissues and organs for patient.
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
The Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery conducts a unique portfolio of research, including clinical trials and laboratory research, to improve patient safety and develop sophisticated new surgical techniques and products.
- Surgical Oncology
As part of the Cancer Center, Surgical Oncology's research efforts include a basic science and translational research program.
- Transplant Center
Research activities at the Transplant Center include the Center for Transplantation Sciences and the Tissue Engineering and Organ Fabrication Laboratory.
- Trauma, Emergency Surgery and Surgical Critical Care (TESSCC)
The Division of Trauma, Emergency Surgery and Surgical Critical Care engages in a wide spectrum of research programs, including laboratory, outcomes, and clinical research.
- Vascular and Endovascular Surgery
Researchers in the Division of Vascular Surgery, part of the Vascular Center, conduct laboratory and clinical research.
- Voice Center
The Voice Center has a long history of conducting research funded by governmental and private foundation sources to develop improved methods for preventing, diagnosing, and treating voice disorders.
- Weight Center
The Weight Center invites patients to join its Partnership in Weight Research (PWR) Program.