What can I expect as my baby grows up?
At age 8 months, your baby can...
- Laugh, coo and gurgle
- Try to copy different sounds
- Stop when their own name is called
- Lift their arms when you ask “Want up?”
- Make single syllables or two syllables, such as “ba,” “da” or “ka” or “baba,” “dada” or “gaga”
- Listen to sounds from themselves and others
At age 10 months, your baby can...
- Look at people and objects when named
- Wave in response to “bye bye”
- Might say “mama” or “dada”
- Shout to get your attention
- Use babbling sounds like real words
- Play peek-a-boo
- Repeat a sound or series of sounds
At age 12 months, your baby can...
- Point to 2 body parts on themselves when you say their names
- Follow simple directions
- Point to objects for you to get them
- Copy familiar words
- Say 2 or 3 words besides “mama” or “dada”
- Make 3 animal sounds