The Social Service Department at Massachusetts General Hospital helps patients and families deal with the unique concerns that illness and hospitalization can create.
Our social workers understand the impact of illness and related challenges on patients’ and their loved ones’ lives. Our caring, dedicated professionals help people solve problems, strengthen their coping skills and recover from painful experiences. We also assist patients in communicating meaningfully with their health care teams and gaining access to hospital- and community-based resources.
Social workers are available throughout Mass General and work with both inpatients and outpatients to help with issues such as:
- Coping with illness, injury, treatment and recovery
- Mental health or substance use concerns
- Grief and bereavement
- Relationships, parenting or family concerns
- Abuse, neglect, violence and other safety issues
- Job, school or other life stresses