Health insurance coverage is a major concern for cancer patients and their families. We are dedicated to ensuring patients understand the hospital's billing policies and financial assistance options.
Before making an appointment, we recommend you contact your insurance company’s Customer or Member Services Department to inquire about your specific proton and radiation therapy benefits. They should be able to tell you about your network coverage as well as any deductibles or benefit limits you may have. The phone numbers for these departments can be found on your insurance card or in your benefits booklet.
If you are enrolled in a managed care group, such as a Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or Point of Service (POS), you should request a referral from your primary care physician (PCP) before scheduling your appointment. If you are looking to be treated with proton therapy, pre-certification from your insurance provider will be required.
Should your health insurance plan change at any time while you are a Mass General patient, please call Patient Registration at 866-211-6588 and stop at one of our front desks to update your information.
While it is ultimately your responsibility to know and understand your insurance plan, we have resources available to help you.
- For questions about proton therapy, please call our Proton Inquiry Line at 617-724-1680.
- Patients traveling from outside the United States for care should contact the International Patient Center at 617-726-2787.
- To request a cost estimate, please call Patient Billing Solutions at 617-726-3884.
- For help applying for state-funded programs such as MassHealth and Free Care Programs, please contact Patient Financial Services at 617-726-2191.
- If you have medical bills which you cannot pay, please contact Financial Assistance at 617-726-3884 to learn more about the options available to you.