Boston, MAPhone: 617-724-4110
About Sonia Lewin, MD
Dr. Sonia Lewin is an attending physician in the Department of Emergency Medicine at Massachusetts General Hospital. She graduated from the University of Massachusetts Medical School. After completing her internship and residency in pediatrics at MGH, she completed a fellowship in pediatric emergency medicine. Dr. Lewin is assistant professor of pediatrics at Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Lewin's major academic commitment is to teaching, both in the clinical arena and through didactic lectures, with teaching settings ranging from patients' bedsides, to interactive skill-stations, core curricula lectures, and presentations at HMS/CME courses, American Academy of Pediatrics conventions and national grand rounds. She has also written chapters in two editions of Ambulatory Pediatric Care. Dr. Lewin served as Co-Director of MGH Department of Pediatrics annual HMS/CME course; "Emergencies and Procedures in Pediatrics." She also teaches minor surgical workshops and "Everything You Always Wanted to Know about Pediatrics but Dared Not Ask," a talk she created to prepare moonlighters, not primarily trained in pediatrics, to care for children presenting with emergency conditions. She also was instrumental in establishing Child-Life Services in the MGH ED. Dr. Lewin's area of expertise is the febrile infant and child. She teaches the age-based work-up of pediatric patients with fever.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
- Approach to the febrile infant and child
- Emergency medicine
- Medical Education
- Pediatric emergency medicine
- Treatment of acute respiratory distress
- French, Spanish
Mass General for Children: Pediatric Emergency Medicine
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Univ. Mass. Worc. M.S.
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Lewin's main interest is in the febrile infant. She developed the Algorithm for the Evaluation of the Well-Appearing Febrile Child: An age-based chart detailing the differences in the evaluation and management of the febrile neonate (<29 days old) compared with the young infant (29 to 89 days old) and the 3-month to 2-year-old pediatric patient; Revision over the years reflects the availability of new vaccines and changes in the epidemiology of pathogens.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings