For years, doctors could not determine why Olivia Renzi was growing so rapidly. In 2013, her mother brought Olivia to MGHfC. Olivia was diagnosed with gigantism, a rare growth disorder, but the diagnosis taught her to tap into a source of inner strength she didn't know she had.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Pediatric Endocrine Associates
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
102 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923-3623
MGH Weight Center
50 Staniford St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MBBS, All India Institute of Medical Sciences
- Residency, Mayo Clinic
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
- Pediatric Endocrinology, American Board of Pediatrics
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
My research interests include evaluation of bone outcomes in extremes of spectrums – anorexia nervosa to severe obesity. I am also interested in evaluating the role of different fat depots – visceral, subcutaneous, marrow and brown fat and their contribution to bone and metabolic consequences in various disease states like athletic triad and anorexia. My recent work focuses on evaluating metabolic changes that happen after bariatric surgery in adolescents and the potential mechanisms contributing to those changes.
Current Research Projects
Metabolic outcomes of bariatric surgery in adolescents
Ongoing: Beta-cell function after sleeve gastrectomy
Bone metabolism, neuroendocrine alterations and regional fat alterations in nutritional disorders including obesity, anorexia nervosa, and athletic amenorrhea.
Ongoing: Marrow fat changes in girls with anorexia nervosa and evaluating changes after estrogen and IGF-1 replacement
Listed only a few out of 14 first author and co-authored publications
- Singhal V, Schwenk,FW, Kumar S. Concise review of childhood and adolescent obesity. Mayo Clinic proceedings. 2007. 82(10): 1258-1263.
- Kamath CC, Vickers KS, Ehrlich A, McGovern L, Johnson J, Singhal V, Paulo R, Hettinger A, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Clinical review: behavioral interventions to prevent childhood obesity: a systematic review and meta-analyses of randomized trials. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008. 93(12):4606-15.
- McGovern L, Johnson JN, Paulo R, Hettinger A, Singhal V, Kamath C, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Clinical review: treatment of pediatric obesity: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized trials. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008. 93(12):4600-5
- Nader NS*, Singhal V*, Javed A, Weaver A, Kumar S: Temporal Trends in the Diagnosis and Management of Childhood Obesity/Overweight in Primary Care: J Prim Care Community Health. Jan 2014. ]. * = equal contribution.
- Singhal V, Misra M, Klibanski A: Endocrinology of anorexia nervosa in young people: recent insights : Current Opinions in Endocrinology, Diabetes and Obesity 2014 Feb; 21(1):64-7
- Singhal V, Maffazioli G, Cano Sokoloff N Ackerman KE, Lee H, Gupta, N, Clarke H, Slattery M, Bredella M, Misra M Regional Fat Depots and their Relationship to Bone Density and Microarchitecture in Young Oligo-amenorrheic Athletes. Bone, 77 (2015) 83-90