Dermatology Laser & Cosmetic Center
Massachusetts General Hospital
50 Staniford Street, Suite 250
Boston, MA 02114
Explore This Treatment Program
What is non-surgical body contouring (body shaping)?
We offer the latest in body contouring (shaping) treatments that do not require surgery. To help shape your body, we are able to either dissolve small areas fat through controlled cooling; use light- based technology to dissolve fat; or use injections to dissolve submental fat, as knows as a double chin.
Areas we commonly treat:
- Lower back and sides (sometimes referred to as love handles)
- Stomach (abdomen)
- Small areas of your upper back (bra fat)
- Submental fat (double chin)
You may be a good candidate for body contouring if you can answer "yes" to the following questions:
For body shaping:
- Are you within 10-15 lbs of your ideal weight?
- Do you have small areas of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise?
For a double chin:
- Do you have mild to moderate submental fat, known as a double chin?
How Do the Treatments Work?
We offer the following FDA approved treatments for reducing small areas of stubborn fat.There are several methods for fat reduction, you can visit the sites below to find out the science behind how each one works.
- CoolSculpting® is a non-surgical option that reduces fat through controlled cooling.
- SculpSure® is a non-surgical option that uses a controlled light-based treatment to reduce unwanted fat cells.
- Kybella® Injections (deoxycholic acid) injection is the first and only FDA-approved prescription non-surgical treatment that is used in adults to improve the appearance and profile of moderate to severe submental fat, also called “double chin.”
- Cellafina™ is a proprietary non-surgical treatment that effectively reduces the cellulite dimples by releasing connective bands woven throughout the thighs and buttocks that helps the skin to smooth out.
Please note: These are not weight loss procedures, they reduce specific areas of stubborn fat. It may require more than one treatment for better results for any body contouring procedure.
What Can I Expect?
It is important to note that these treatments are not weight loss treatments. Compared to surgical alternatives, these treatments are performed in our office with little to no downtime, allowing you to return to your daily activities almost immediately. These treatments help reduce small areas of stubborn fat and help shape your body. Depending on the specific treatment, results can be seen as early as three weeks; you will see the most dramatic results between two to four months.
Why Do I Need a Consultation?
Your treatment plan is customized to meet your specific goals and needs. For this reason, a face-to-face consultation is required. This allows your cosmetic dermatologist (a skin doctor who helps improve a patient’s physical appearance) to develop the best possible treatment plan for you. During the consultation, the doctor will:
- Address your concerns and develop of a personalized treatment plan
- Review your general health
- Evaluate your overall skin condition
- Discuss risks and benefits of the treatments
- Discuss the number and costs of treatments
A consultation is required and there is a fee for the consultation.
Are the Treatments Covered by Health Insurance?
No. Body contouring or shaping is an elective cosmetic dermatology service. Cosmetic dermatology services are typically deemed not medically necessary by medical insurance plans and are not likely to be covered.
CoolSculpting: Before and After
CoolSculpting® is a non-invasive process which uses cold to trigger the elimination of fat from trouble spots that are diet and exercise resistant, without damage to other tissue. Below is a before and after of women's abdomen.
Please note: Individual results vary. This is not a weight loss procedure, it is body contouring for people who are physically fit and who have small unwanted areas of fat that have not responded to diet and exercise.
Below is a before and after of a male's abdomen after 8 weeks of using the CoolSculpting® procedure.
Please note: Individual results vary.
Meet Our Laser Cosmetic Experts
Our board-certified dermatologists have extensive laser and cosmetic training and offer the latest non-surgical cosmetic treatments to help you look and feel your best.