Jim Herndon, MD, MBA
Jim Herndon, MD, MBA
Hand and Upper Extremity Orthopaedic Surgeon
William H. and Johanna A. Harris Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MBA, Boston University
- MD, UCLA School of Medicine
- MD, University of California, Los Angeles, School of Medicine
- Valley Forge General Hospital
- Residency, Boston Children's Hospital
- Residency, Children's Hospital Boston
- Residency, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Residency, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Fellowship, Roosevelt Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Orthopedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Hand Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Hand Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Herndon has made significant contributions in general orthopaedics, including adult respiratory distress after fractures, fat embolism with total hip replacement, management of war-injured amputees, scoliosis, as well as in hand and upper extremity, including arthritis, joint reconstruction, tendon and nerve injuries, and congenital problems.
Dr. Herndon was a pioneer in gene therapy for rheumatoid arthritis and led the first gene therapy clinical trial in the US. His other research interests include biomechanics of the forearm and the interosseous ligament, tendon injuries, and nerve healing.
Dr. Herndon continues to be interested in quality of care, especially regarding patient safety and the reduction of medical errors.
- Herndon JH, Allan BJ, Dyer G, Jawa A, Zurakowski D. Predictors of success on the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery Examination, Clin Ortho & Related Research. 467:2436-2445, Sept. 2009.
- Wong D, Lewis B, Herndon J, Martin C, Brooks, R. Patient safety in North American: beyond "Operate through your Initials" and "Sign your Site". J Bone Joint Surg Am. 91:1534-41, 2009.
- Wong DA, Herndon JH, Canale ST, Brooks RL, Hunt TR, Epps HR, Fountain SS, Albanese SA, Johanson NA. Medical errors in orthopaedics: results of an AAOS member survey. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 91:547-557, 2009.
- Huddleston J, Maloney W, Verzier N, Wang Y, Hunt D, Herndon J. Adverse events in total knee arthroplasty. A national Medicare study. Journal of Arthroplasty, 24:Issue 2, Feb 2009.
- Lieberman I, Herndon J, Hahn J, Fins JJ, Rezai A. Surgical innovation and ethical dilemmas: a panel discussion. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine, Volume 75, Supplement 6 S13, 2008.