Lewis Holmes, MD
Lewis Holmes, MD
Emeritus Director, Genetic Counseling & Screening Services,
Perinatal Diagnostic Unit, Obstetrics Program
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Massachusetts General Hospital
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Duke University School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Harvard Medical School/ BWH
American Board Certifications
- Clinical Genetics (M.D.), American Board of Medical Genetics
- Pediatrics, American Board of Pediatrics
For the past 40 plus years, I have worked on two major research projects: 1) searching for the causes of congenital malformations in infants; 2) determining the fetal effects from exposures during pregnancy. The first project was explored for 40 years (1972-2012) in the evaluation of all malformed liveborn and stillborn infants born at the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. The focus of the second project has been on the effects of anticonvulsant drugs taken by pregnant women, as well as several other exposures.
- Gold NB, Westgate MN, Holmes LB. Anatomic and etiological classification of congenital limb deficiencies. Am J Med Genet (Part A) 155:1225-1235, 2011.
- Holmes LB, Westgate MN. Inclusion and exclusion criteria for malformations in newborn infants exposed to potential teratogens. Birth Def Res (Part A): Clin Mol Teratol 91:807-812, 2011.
- Gardiner DM, Holmes LB. Hypothesis: terminal transverse limb defects with "nubbins" represent a regenerative process during limb development in human fetuses. Birth Def Res (Part A): Clin Mol Teratol 94:129-133, 2012.
- Hernandez-Diaz S, Smith CR, Shen A, Mittendorf R, Hauser WA, Yerby M, Holmes LB. Comparative safety of antiepileptic drugs during pregnancy. Neurology 78:1692-1699, 2012.
- Mehta U, Clerk C, Allen E, Yore M, Sevene E, Singlovic J, Petzold M, Mangiaterra V, Elefant E, Sullivan FM, Holmes LB, Gomes M. Protocol for a drug exposure pregnancy registry for implementation in resource-limited settings. BMC Pregnant Childbirth 12:89, 2012.
- Maheshware A, Athale S, Lekhra OP, Tela K, Hernandez-Diaz S, Holmes LB. Comparative safety of antiepileptic drugs during pregnancy. 80:689-690, 2013.
- Holmes LB. Common Malformations, Oxford University Press, NY, 2012.