Accepting new cutaneous melanoma patients only.
Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-2914
About Arthur Sober, MD
Arthur J. Sober, M.D. is board-certified in dermatology and internal medicine. Dr. Sober is the former Medical Director of Dermatology at Massachusetts General Hospital and a Professor at Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Sober was born in Washington, DC, earned his BA and M.D. at George Washington University, and completed his internship and residency in internal medicine and dermatology in Boston at the Harvard Combined Residency Program. He has been teaching at Harvard Medical School since 1974, earning a professorship in 1996. He has received numerous awards, including an honorary Master of Arts degree from Harvard University, and has been involved on countless scientific program committees.
In 2010, the American Academy of Dermatology honored Dr. Sober and presented him with the Astellas Award for his research that has had a profound impact on the way people monitor their skin for changes, as well as on the diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer. He has been active with the American Cancer Society, the American Joint Commission on Cancer, the National Cancer Center Network, and the WHO Melanoma Programme.
His clinical research interests center around melanoma. Publications include the Year Book of Dermatology series (1983-1997), chapters in eight editions of Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, and more than 200 papers, as well as several books on melanoma and pigmented lesions, including the editorship of four editions of Balch's Cutaneous Melanoma.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
- Dermatology (general)
- Skin cancer
Mass General Dermatology
50 Staniford St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, George Washington University School of Medicine
- Residency, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Dermatology, American Board of Dermatology
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings