Departments, Centers, & Programs:
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MD, Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Tomford's research interests are in musculoskeletal tissue banking. As the Director, the MGH Bone Bank has provided more than 3,000 allografts to surgeons at MGH. Each of these grafts can be traced from donors to recipients, and records are maintained on over 600 donors.
Dr. Tomford is considered an authority on musculoskeletal tissue banking. He has written a textbook on the subject, and continues to do research and to lecture throughout the world on orthopaedic allografts. Additionally, Dr. Tomford has helped start and/or served as a consultant to bone banks in Japan, China, Thailand, Korea, Israel, Italy, Norway, Brazil and Spain as well as numerous bone banks in the US.
- Lewandrowski KU, Hile DD, Thompson BM, Wise DL, Tomford WW, Trantolo DJ. Quantitative measures of osteoinductivity of a porous poly(propylene fumarate) bone graft extender. Tissue Eng. 2003 Feb;9(1):85-93.
- Lewandrowski KU, Bondre S, Hile DD, Thompson BM, Wise DL, Tomford WW, Trantolo DJ. Porous poly(propylene fumarate) foam coating of orthotopic cortical bone grafts for improved osteoconduction. Tissue Eng. 2002 Dec;8(6):1017-27.
- Fox EJ, Hau MA, Gebhardt MC, Hornicek FJ, Tomford WW, Mankin HJ. Long-term followup of proximal femoral allografts. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2002 Apr;(397):106-13.
- Lewandrowski KU, Schollmeier G, Ekkemkamp A, Uhthoff HK, Tomford WW. Incorporation of perforated and demineralized cortical bone allografts. Part II: A mechanical and histologic evaluation. Biomed Mater Eng. 2001;11(3):209-19.
- Lewandrowski KU, Schollmeier G, Ekkemkamp A, Uhthoff HK, Tomford WW. Incorporation of perforated and demineralized cortical bone allografts. Part I: radiographic and histologic evaluation. Biomed Mater Eng. 2001;11(3):197-207.