Michael Fifer, MD
Michael Fifer, MD
Director, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Program
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Heart Center
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Cardiovascular Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Fifer's research focuses on hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. He introduced alcohol septal ablation, an innovative procedure for patients with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy, to the northeastern United States. He has published definitive reviews on the management of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy in Circulation. The research program of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Program of the Heart Center of Massachusetts General Hospital is currently conducting translational and clinical studies aimed at elucidating the pathophysiologic mechanism of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and discovering new treatments for the disease.
- Rothman RD, Baggish AL, O’Callaghan C, Lowry PA, Bhatt AB, MacRae CA, Yannekis G, Sanborn DM, Mela T, Yeh RW, Palacios I, Vlahakes GJ, Fifer MA. Management strategy in 249 consecutive patients with obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy referred to a dedicated program. Am J Card 2012;110:1169-74.
- Elmariah S, Fifer MA. Medical, surgical and interventional management of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy with obstruction. Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med 2012;14:665-678.
- Sanborn DMY, Sigwart U, Fifer MA. Patient selection for alcohol septal ablation for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy: clinical and echocardiographic evaluation. Interv Cardiol 2012;4:349-59.
- Shimada YJ,. Passeri JJ, Baggish AL, O’Callaghan C, Lowry PA, Yannekis G, Abbara S, Ghoshhajra BB, Ho CY, Januzzi JL, Seidman CE, Fifer MA. Effects of losartan on left ventricular hypertrophy and fibrosis in patients with nonobstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiology HF 2013;1:480-7.