Departments, Centers, & Programs:
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Mass General/North Shore Cancer Center
102 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- D.Phil., Oxford University
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Medical Oncology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Hematology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Current areas of ongoing research:
- Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasis (HHT): NIH sponsored grant to assess effect of pomalidomide to reduce bleeding in patients with HHT.
- Immune thrombocytopenia (ITP): NIH sponsored grant to assess effect of addition of mycophenolyate to standard of care for patients with ITP.
- Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia (HIT): lead in 17 center NIH-sponsored study of the natural history and treatment of HIT
- Polycythemia vera (P.vera): Incyte Corp study (Reveal Study) to assess the natural history, treatment and quality of life of patients with P. vera.
- ITP: Ph 1 study using anti-CD40 ligand antibody (BMS sponsor) to reduce the rate of thrombocytopenia in patients with ITP
- ITP: Ph 1 study assessing the use of Staph protein A (Protalix, Inc) in the treatment of ITP
- ITP: assessment of patients with ITP treated with TPO receptor agonists--effect on longterm remission
- ITP: assessment of TPO receptor agonists in raising the platelet count of thrombocytopenic patients about to have surgery
- ITP: study of platelet function in patients with ITP after treatment with romiplostim
- Autoimmune hemolytic anemia (AIHA): creator and major site for international registry for patients with this disorder.
Selected peer-reviewed publications (of over 300)
- Kuter DJ, Beeler D, Rosenberg RD. The purification and characterization of megapoietin: a megakaryocyte growth promoting protein. Proc Natl Acad Sci 1994;91:11104-11108.
- Kuter DJ, et al. Thrombopoiesis and Thrombopoietins: Molecular, Cellular, Preclinical, and Clinical Biology. Humana Press, New York, 1997.
- Murphy MJ, Kuter DJ, Eds. Thrombopoietin: From Molecule to Medicine. AlphaMed Press, Miamisburg, OH, 1998.
- Bussel J, Kuter DJ, George J, McMillan R, Aledort LM, Conklin GT, Lichtin AE, Lyons RM, Nieva J,Wasser J, Wiznitzer I, Kelly R, Chen CF, Nichol J. AMG 531, a thrombopoiesis-stimulating protein, for ITP. New Engl J Med 2006;355:1672-1681.
- Kuter DJ, et al. Randomized, controlled, 6-month evaluation of AMG531 in patients with chronic immune thrombocytopenic purpura. Lancet 2008;371:395-403.
- Kuter DJ et al. Romiplostim or standard of care in patients with immune thrombocytopenia. NEJM 2010;363:1889-1899.