Departments, Centers, & Programs:
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MD, UCLA School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Gastroenterology, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
The research interests of Dr. Nishioka are primarily focused on utilizing optical technology to improve the accuracy of gastrointestinal endoscopy procedures. Examples of these investigations include the use of low coherence optical imaging and endoscopic confocal microscopy. Dr. Nishioka has supervised undergraduate, graduate, medical and post-graduate students and research fellows. Currently he is also conducting clinical trials assessing the clinical utility of various endoscopic technologies. Dr. Nishioka has an active clinical practice in gastroenterology as a member of MGH Gastroenterology Associates. Dr. Nishioka’s clinical practice is limited to gastroenterology with a special emphasis on endoscopic procedures for the therapy of advanced Barertt’s esophagus and early esophageal adenocarcinoma. He is the Director of Endoscopy at Massachusetts General Hospital. and serves as an attending physician in the gastrointestinal endoscopy unit and on the gastroenterology consultation service.
- Kroep S, Heberle CR, Curtius K, Kong CY, Lansdorp-Vogelaar I, Ali A, Asher-Wolf A, Shaheen NJ, Spechler SJ, Rubenstein JH, Nishioka NS, Meltzer SJ, Hazelton WD, van Ballegooijen M, Tramontano AC, Gazelle GS, Luebeck EG, Inadomi JM, Hur C. Radiofrequency ablation of Barrett's esophagus reduces esophageal adenocarcinoma incidence and mortality in a comparative modeling analysis. Clin Gastro Hep. 2017;15(9):1471-74. PMID: 28089850.
- Tsai FC, Ghorbani S, Greenwald BD, Jang S, Dumont JA, McKinley MJ, Shaheen NJ, Habr F, Wolfsen HC, Abrams JA, Lightdale CJ, Nishioka NS, Jonston MH, Zfass A, Coyle WJ. Safety and efficacy of endoscopic spray cryotherapy for esophageal cancer. Dis Esophagus. 2017;30(11):1-7. PMID: 28881903.
- Chu JN, Choi J, Tramontano A, Morse C, Forcione D, Nishioka NS, Abrams JA, Rubenstein JH, Kong CY, Inadomi JM, Hur C. Surgical vs endoscopic management of T1 esophageal adenocarcinoma: a modeling decision analysis. Clin Gastro Hep. 2018;16(3): 392-400. PMID: 29079222.
- Eschenfeldt PC, Kartoun U, Heberle CR, Kong CY, Nishioka NS, Ng K, Kamarthi S, Hur C. Analysis of factors associated with extended recovery time after colonoscopy. PLoS One. 2018;13(6):e0199246. PMID: 29927978.
- Gora MJ, Quénéhervé L, Carruth RW, Lu W, Rosenberg M, Sauk JS, Fasano A, Lauwers GY, Nishioka NS, Tearney GJ. Tethered capsule endomicroscopy for microscopic imaging of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum without sedation in humans (with video). Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 88(5):830-840: PMID:30031805.