Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-2426
About Norman Nishioka, MD
Director of Endoscopy
Associate Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
AB - University of California, Berkeley
MA - University of California, Berkeley
MD - Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Residency in Internal Medicine, Massachusetts General Hospital
Fellowship in Gastroenterology, Massachusetts General Hospital
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
- Barrett's esophagus
- Esophageal cancer
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
Mass General Gastroenterology
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, UCLA School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Gastroenterology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
The research interests of Dr. Nishioka are primarily focused on utilizing optical technology to improve the accuracy of gastrointestinal endoscopy procedures. Examples of these investigations include the use of low coherence optical imaging and endoscopic confocal microscopy. Dr. Nishioka has supervised undergraduate, graduate, medical and post-graduate students and research fellows. Currently he is also conducting clinical trials assessing the clinical utility of various endoscopic technologies. Dr. Nishioka has an active clinical practice in gastroenterology as a member of MGH Gastroenterology Associates. Dr. Nishioka’s clinical practice is limited to gastroenterology with a special emphasis on endoscopic procedures for the therapy of advanced Barrett's esophagus and early esophageal adenocarcinoma. He is the Director of Endoscopy at Massachusetts General Hospital. and serves as an attending physician in the gastrointestinal endoscopy unit and on the gastroenterology consultation service.
- Kroep S, Heberle CR, Curtius K, Kong CY, Lansdorp-Vogelaar I, Ali A, Asher-Wolf A, Shaheen NJ, Spechler SJ, Rubenstein JH, Nishioka NS, Meltzer SJ, Hazelton WD, van Ballegooijen M, Tramontano AC, Gazelle GS, Luebeck EG, Inadomi JM, Hur C. Radiofrequency ablation of Barrett's esophagus reduces esophageal adenocarcinoma incidence and mortality in a comparative modeling analysis. Clin Gastro Hep. 2017;15(9):1471-74. PMID: 28089850.
- Tsai FC, Ghorbani S, Greenwald BD, Jang S, Dumont JA, McKinley MJ, Shaheen NJ, Habr F, Wolfsen HC, Abrams JA, Lightdale CJ, Nishioka NS, Jonston MH, Zfass A, Coyle WJ. Safety and efficacy of endoscopic spray cryotherapy for esophageal cancer. Dis Esophagus. 2017;30(11):1-7. PMID: 28881903.
- Chu JN, Choi J, Tramontano A, Morse C, Forcione D, Nishioka NS, Abrams JA, Rubenstein JH, Kong CY, Inadomi JM, Hur C. Surgical vs endoscopic management of T1 esophageal adenocarcinoma: a modeling decision analysis. Clin Gastro Hep. 2018;16(3): 392-400. PMID: 29079222.
- Eschenfeldt PC, Kartoun U, Heberle CR, Kong CY, Nishioka NS, Ng K, Kamarthi S, Hur C. Analysis of factors associated with extended recovery time after colonoscopy. PLoS One. 2018;13(6):e0199246. PMID: 29927978.
- Gora MJ, Quénéhervé L, Carruth RW, Lu W, Rosenberg M, Sauk JS, Fasano A, Lauwers GY, Nishioka NS, Tearney GJ. Tethered capsule endomicroscopy for microscopic imaging of the esophagus, stomach, and duodenum without sedation in humans (with video). Gastrointest Endosc. 2018; 88(5):830-840: PMID:30031805.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings