Boyd Thompson, MD
Boyd Thompson, MD
Medical Director, ARDS Network Clinical Coordinating Center
Boston, MAPhone: 617-726-1721
About Boyd Thompson, MD
Dr. Thompson is a California native who joined the Department of Medicine and the Pulmonary and Critical Care Unit at MGH in 1985. He directed the Pulmonary and Critical Care Fellowship training program until 1990 and the Medical Intensive Care Unit until 2011. He now the Director of Critical Care Translational Research in the Pulmonary and Critical Care Unit. His current patient care activities are focused solely on caring for critically ill patients and their families. He has been actively involved in teaching at Harvard Medical School where he is a Professor of Medicine. He has been an active clinical investigator for over 25 years. His primary research and academic interests involve managing clinical trials for patients with the Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) or severe sepsis, investigating the molecular epidemiology of ARDS and sepsis, and developing and testing computerized bedside decision support tools.
- Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS)
- Sepsis and Septic Shock
Mass General Pulmonary & Critical Care
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, UC Davis School of Medicine
- Residency, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Pulmonary Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Thompson is the Medical Director of the NHLBI-funded Prevention and Early Treatment of Acute Lung Injury (PETAL) Clinical Coordinating Center where he coordinates randomized controlled trials for critically ill patients. In collaboration with Drs' Christiani and Bajwa at MGH, Dr. Thompson is exploring the molecular epidemiology of ARDS susceptibility and ARDS and sepsis clinical outcomes. Dr Thompson is working with Dr. Michael Matthay at UCSF on the design and implementation of a Phase II trial of mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of ALI and with Augustine Choi at the Brigham and Women's Hospital on the design and implementation of a clinical trial of inhaled carbon monoxide as a potential therapeutic agent for ARDS.
Dr. Thompson is the author or co-author of over 200 peer reviewed publications, reviews, and book chapters.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings