Departments, Centers, & Programs:
Mass General Heart Center
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Cardiovascular Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
The Leducq Transatlantic Network of Excellence in Mitral Valve Disease, based in the Division of Cardiology at MGH and coordinated by Dr. Robert A. Levine in the Cardiac Ultrasound Laboratory, applies techniques of molecular genetics and cell and developmental biology to clinically derived material and experimental models of mitral valve disease, a major source of heart failure and mortality worldwide. It aims to discover common themes among different conditions affecting the mitral valve and to understand the lexicon of growth signals that can lead to successful interventions. The network fosters dynamic interactions among basic and clinical investigators at MGH and major national and international institutions.This alliance of investigators moves genetic findings into model systems to understand their effect on valve biology and test potential therapies while providing junior investigators opportunities for career growth.
- Levine RA, Handschumacher MD, Sanfilippo AJ, Hagege AA, Harrigan P, Marshall JE, Weyman AE. Three-dimensional echocardiographic reconstruction of the mitral valve, with implications for the diagnosis of mitral valve prolapse. Circulation 1989;80:589-98 (accompanied by editorial).
- Hung J, Guerrero JL, Handschumacher BS, Supple G, Sullivan S, Levine RA. Reverse ventricular remodeling reduces ischemic MR: Echo-guided device application in the beating heart. Circulation 2002; 106:2594-600.
- Levine RA, Schwammenthal E. Ischemic MR on the threshold of a solution: From paradoxes to unifying concepts. Circulation 2005;112:745-58.