Boston, MAPhone: 617-724-7792
About Helen Riess, MD
Dr. Helen Riess is Associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and Director of Empathy Research and Training in Psychotherapy Research group in the Department of Psychiatry at MGH. She is conducting research on improving empathy in the patient - physician relationship. She received her undergraduate degree at Wesleyan University and her M.D. from Boston University School of Medicine. Dr. Riess completed her psychiatry residency, Chief Residency, and a research fellowship at MGH.
Dr. Riess's clinical interests include psychotherapy and psychopharmacology for adult anxiety disorders, depression, adult adjustment disorders, adult attention deficit disorders, bereavement,
Dr. Riess has a career-long commitment to medical education. She has developed innovative educational and therapeutic curricula to address problems ranging from her book on the treatment of bulimia nervosa, to published curricula on psychotherapy supervision, to her recent neurobiologically informed empathy training curriculum for physicians. Dr. Riess completed a Rabkin Medical Education Fellowship at Harvard Medical School as well as the Harvard Macy Harvard Macy Institute for Educators in the Health Professions.
Dr. Riess's research is supported by The Arnold P. Gold Foundation for Humanism in Medicine, The Josiah Macy Jr., Foundation for Medical Education, The Risk Management Foundation, and The David Judah Fund.
- Adult adjustment disorders
- Adult Anxiety Disorders
- Adult bereavement
- Adult depression
Mass General Psychiatry: Adult Outpatient Psychiatry Services
55 Fruit St.
Wang Ambulatory Care Center
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, Boston University School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna Behavioral Health
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Behavioral Health - MGH
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Riess conducts research on improving empathy and relational skills in physicians. Dr. Riess's research is supported by The Arnold P. Gold Foundation for Humanism in Medicine, The Josiah Macy Jr., Foundation for Medical Education, The Risk Management Foundation, and The David Judah Fund.
Dr. Riess has also previously conducted research on treatment of bulimia nervosa with an integrative treatment approach utilizing cognitive behavioral, relational, psychodynamic, and experiential therapies. The results and methods are published in journal articles and her book, Integrative Group Treatment for Bulimia Nervosa, Columbia University Press, 2001.
- Riess H, Kelley JM, Bailey RW, et al. Improving Empathy and Relational Skills in Otolaryngology Residents: A Pilot Study. Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery 2011
- Riess H. Empathy in Medicine: A neurobiological Perspective. JAMA 2010; 304 1604-1605
- Riess, H. Dockray-Miller, M. Integrative Group Treatment for Bulimia Nervosa. New York: Columbia University Press. 2002
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based on U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings