Departments, Centers, & Programs:
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117
- MD, Boston University School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Psychiatry, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Riess conducts research on improving empathy and relational skills in physicians. Dr. Riess's research is supported by The Arnold P. Gold Foundation for Humanism in Medicine, The Josiah Macy Jr., Foundation for Medical Education, The Risk Management Foundation, and The David Judah Fund.
Dr. Riess has also previously conducted research on treatment of bulimia nervosa with an integrative treatment approach utilizing cognitive behavioral, relational, psychodynamic, and experiential therapies. The results and methods are published in journal articles and her book, Integrative Group Treatment for Bulimia Nervosa, Columbia University Press, 2001.
- Riess H, Kelley JM, Bailey RW, et al. Improving Empathy and Relational Skills in Otolaryngology Residents: A Pilot Study. Otolarygology Head Neck Surgery 2011
- Riess H. Empathy in Medicine: A neurobiological Perspective. JAMA 2010; 304 1604-1605
- Riess, H. Dockray-Miller, M. Integrative Group Treatment for Bulimia Nervosa. New York: Columbia University Press. 2002