Harry Rubash, MD
Harry Rubash, MD
Edith M. Ashley Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery Emeritus, Harvard Medical School
Hip and Knee Replacement Orthopaedic Surgeon
Mass General/Newton-Wellesley Foot & Ankle Center
52 Second Ave.
Waltham, MA 02451
- MD, University of Pittsburgh
- MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Residency, Univ. of Pittsburgh Med. Ctr.
- Residency, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Rechts der ISAR Hospital
- Fellowship, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Rubash has made significant contributions to the study of biomechanics and failure mechanisms of joint arthroplasty in the hip and knee in order to develop better implant designs, simplify operative implant techniques, and develop new materials for implant-bearing surfaces, including the successful development of new reconstructive techniques.
Dr. Rubash is interested in revision total hip arthroplasty with major bone loss, revision total knee arthroplasty with component malalignment and infection, and avascular necrosis of the hip, a devastating disease that often affects young people in the primes of their lives. He has developed several new reconstructive techniques for acetabular fractures, acetabular and femoral component revisions, revision knee surgeries, and periprosthetic osteolysis.
- Bozic KJ. Kurtz SM. Lau E. Ong K. Chiu V. Vail TP. Rubash HE. Berry DJ. The epidemiology of revision total knee arthroplasty in the United States. Clin Orthop. 468(1):45-51, 2010.
- Liu F. Kozanek M. Hosseini A. Van de Velde SK. Gill TJ. Rubash HE. Li G. In vivo tibiofemoral cartilage deformation during the stance phase of gait. Biomech. 43(4):658-65, 2010.
- Bozic KJ, Ong K, Lau E, Kurtz SM, Vail TP, Rubash HE, Berry DJ, Risk of complication and revision total hip arthroplasty among Medicare patients with different bearing surfaces. Clin Ortho. 468(9):2357-62, 2010.
- Varadarajan K.M., Gill T.J, Freiberg A.A., Rubash H.E., Li G., Patellar Tendon Orientation and Patellar Tracking in Male and Female Knees, J Orthop Res, J Orthop Res. 2010 Mar; 28;(3):322-8.
- Sargent MC, Sotile W, Sotile MO, Rubash H, Barrack RL. Quality of life during orthopaedic training and academic practice. Part 1: Orthopaedic surgery residents and faculty. JBJSA. 91(10):2395-405, 2009.
- Bozic KJ, Kurtz SM, Lau E, Ong K, Chiu V, Vail TP, Rubash HR, Berry DJ. The Epidemiology of Bearing Surfaces in Total Hip Arthroplasty in the United States. J Bone Joint Surg. AM. 2009; 9:1616-1620.
- Bozic KJ. Smith AR. Hariri S. Adeoye S. Gourville J. Maloney WJ. Parsley B. Rubash HE. The 2007 ABJS Marshall Urist Award: The impact of direct-to-consumer advertising in orthopaedics. Clinical Orthopaedics& Related Research. 458:202-19, 2007 May.
- Shanbhag AS, Hasselman CT and HE Rubash,@The John Charnley Award. Inhibition of wear debris-mediated osteolysis in a canine total hip arthroplasty modelL Clin Orthop Rel Res, 344: 33-43 (Nov1997).