Martha Pitman, MD
Martha Pitman, MD
Professor of Pathology, Harvard Medical School
Pathologist, Massachusetts General Hospital
Director, Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy Service
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
- MD, Medical University of South Carolina
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
American Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology & Clinical Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Cytopathology, American Board of Pathology
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Pitman's primary research interests are in fine needle aspiration biopsy of the liver and pancreas. Her focus of research is on current methods of pre-operative diagnosis of pancreatic cysts, particularly mucinous cysts of the pancreas. Her contributions to the field have centered on defining, describing and standardizing the role of cytopathology in the preoperative diagnosis of pancreatic cysts culminating in an international reputation as one of the top world experts and leaders in the field of pancreaticobiliary cytology. She is co-author the 4th series AFIP Fascicle on Tumors of the Pancreas.
- Circulating tumor cells found in patients with localized and advanced pancreatic cancer. Kulemann B, Pitman MB, Liss AS, Valsangkar N, Fern?ndez-Del Castillo C, Lillemoe KD, Hoeppner J, Mino-Kenudson M, Warshaw AL, Thayer SP. Pancreas. 2015 May;44(4):547-50
- Nodular fasciitis clinically presenting as a sarcoma. Scourtas A, Pitman MB, Chebib I. Diagn Cytopathol. 2015 Jun;43(6):488-9. doi: 10.1002/dc.23214. Epub 2014 Nov 3. No abstract available.
- Characterization of epithelial subtypes of intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm of the pancreas with endoscopic ultrasound and cyst fluid analysis. Yoon WJ, Daglilar ES, Mino-Kenudson M, Morales-Oyarvide V, Pitman MB, Brugge WR. Endoscopy. 2014 Dec;46(12):1071-7. doi: 10.1055/s-0034-1377629. Epub 2014 Sep 10.