Brian Grottkau, MD
Brian Grottkau, MD
Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon
Assistant Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery, Harvard Medical School
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, Suite 3E
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
104 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923-3623
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, New England Baptist Hospital
- Fellowship, UC Davis Medical Center
American Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery, American Board of Orthopedic Surgery
Accepted Insurance Plans
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Dr. Grottkau's research interests are in a variety of areas:
- Dr. Grottkau is a Principal Investigator with the Laboratory for Therapeutic 3D Bioprinting. Through the Lab, Dr. Grottkau and his team bioprint live micro-tissues that are comparable to human tissues for therapeutic purposes including tissue regeneration, organ regeneration and anticancer therapy.
- Pediatric trauma: Dr. Grottkau studies various aspects of pediatric trauma. He is researching the demographics, injuries sustained, residual disabilities and other aspects of children who have suffered falls.
- Radiological evaluation of elbow fractures in children: Dr. Grottkau is researching this topic utilizing multidetector CT technology. He has published numerous articles about this topic.
- Treatment of Legg-Calve-Perthes disease: Dr. Grottkau is researching this area, in conjunction with the Lab for Tissue Engineering at MGH, to develop an effective intervention in the treatment of this disease utilizing autogenous stem cells.
- Cai X, Zhang Y, Yang X, Grottkau BE, Lin Y. Uniaxial cyclic tensile stretch inhibits osteogenic and odontogenic differentiation of human dental pulp stem cells. J Tissue Eng Regen Med. 2010 Sep 8.
- Grottkau BE, Purudappa PP, Lin YF. Multilineage differentiation of dental pulp stem cells from green fluorescent protein transgenic mice. Int J Oral Sci. 2010 Mar;2(1):21-7.
- Grottkau BE, Rebello G, Merlin G, Winograd JM. Coaptive film versus subcuticular suture: comparing skin closure time after posterior spinal instrumented fusion in pediatric patients with spinal deformity. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010 Nov 1;35(23):2027-9.
- Hart ES, Grottkau BE. Intraoperative neuromonitoring in pediatric spinal deformity surgery. Orthop Nurs. 2009 Nov-Dec;28(6):286-92.
- Shannon EG, Hart ES, Grottkau BE. Clavicle fractures in children: the essentials. Orthop Nurs. 2009 Sep-Oct;28(5):210-4; quiz 215-6.
- Hart ES, Metkar US, Rebello GN, Grottkau BE. Femoroacetabular impingement in adolescents and young adults. Orthop Nurs. 2009 May-Jun;28(3):117-24; quiz 125-6.