G. Petur Nielsen, MD
G. Petur Nielsen, MD
Pathologist, Massachusetts General Hospital
Professor of Pathology, Harvard Medical School
Boston, MAPhone: 617-643-0800
About G. Petur Nielsen, MD
Dr. Nielsen has written extensively on neoplastic and non-neoplastic diseases and of bone and soft tissue. He is the co-author of several book chapters, has participated in writing a number of sections over the last few years for the World Health Organization (WHO) Classification of Tumours of Soft Tissue and Bone, and co-authored Diagnostic Pathology: Bone. Dr. Nielsen is a regular speaker at national and international pathology and orthopedic courses.
Departments, Centers, & Programs:
- Bone and Soft Tissue Pathology
- Electron Microscopy
- Frozen Section Pathology
- Head and Neck Pathology
Mass General Pathology
55 Fruit St.
Boston, MA 02114
- MD, University of Iceland Faculty of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital*****
American Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Pathology, American Board of Pathology
Accepted Insurance Plans
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- BMC HealthNet Mass Health MCO/ACO
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Commonwealth Care Alliance
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Maine Community Health Options (MCHO)
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - ACD
- Mass General Brigham Health Plan - PBO
- Medicare - ACD
- Medicare ACO - ACD
- Medicare ACO - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Well Sense Pediatrics
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
Research interests include pathology and biology of bone and soft tissue tumors and the application of ancillary studies in the diagnosis of bone and soft tissue neoplasms. Dr. Nielsen is especially interested in chordoma research. For more information about research concepts, co-authors, and to see a timeline, visit Dr. Nielsen's profile at the Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center.
- Giant Cell Tumor of the Uterus: A Report of 3 Cases With a Spectrum of Morphologic Features. Bennett JA, Sanada S, Selig MK, Hariri LP, Nielsen GP, Oliva E. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2015 Apr 3. [Epub ahead of print]
- SMARCB1-deficient Vulvar Neoplasms: A Clinicopathologic, Immunohistochemical, and Molecular Genetic Study of 14 Cases. Folpe AL, Schoolmeester JK, McCluggage WG, Sullivan LM, Castagna K, Ahrens WA, Oliva E, Biegel JA, Nielsen GP. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015 Feb 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cytomorphologic features that distinguish schwannoma from other low-grade spindle cell lesions. Chebib I, Hornicek FJ, Nielsen GP, Deshpande V. Cancer Cytopathol. 2015 Mar;123(3):171-9. doi: 10.1002/cncy.21506. Epub 2015 Jan 8.
Secure online access to your health information whenever you need it. Check appointments, communicate with your provider and pay bills online 24/7.
#1 Research Hospital in America
Mass General is the #1 hospital in New England based U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals for 2022-2023.
Reviews: Comments and Ratings